I-League: Pune FC beat Chirag United 3-1

November 2nd, 2011 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS  

Pune, Nov 1 (IANS) Pune FC beat Chirag United Kerala 3-1 for their first win in the season in the the third round of the I-League football championship match at the Balewadi Sports Complex here Tuesday.

Having drawn both their opening matches, Pune FC were determined to win and scored through Gurjinder Kumar (19th minute), Jeje Lalpekhlua (70th) and Douhou Pierre (87th). Chirag pulled one back through Charles Dzisah (75th) off a penalty-kick.

Desperate for a win after drawing first two games at home, Pune FC started with Jeje and Subhash Singh upfront and Dohou held back in the first half to support the duo from the mid-field.

Pune FC began with four changes to the playing eleven for the game. Defenders Othallo Tabia, Caitano Costa and medios Shanmugam Venkatesh, Lester Fernandez made way for Srikanth R., Anas Edathodika, Maninder Singh and striker Subash Singh.

The visitors scared Pune FC with Gunashekhar Vignesh striking the upright in the opening few minutes. But then as Pune FC settled, it was Maninder Singh’s cross from the left, which had the keeper Sharath K fumble.

Pune FC took the lead with Gurjinder moving up on the left, got past the defence, cut into the box and did well to turn and release a well taken right-footer that found the net at the far end despite a valiant dive by Sharath.

On resumption, the Kerala side had Noushad K taking a crack from 22 yards which screamed wide. At the other end after a couple of minutes Srikanth’s cross from the right found Jeje shoot wide.

Pune FC brought in Shanmugam Venkatesh for Maninder and the moved worked with Jeje doing well to tap-in a good cross by the veteran medio.

Jeje doubled the lead in the 70th minute when he struck home from top of the box, after Douhou did the spadework which included a great set up that made enough space for Jeje to strike home.

Up 2-0, Chirag United Kerala forced a penalty-kick when Chika Wali brought down Vineeth C.K. on the corner of the box. Dzisah stepped up and cleanly tucked the ball home.

Pune FC attacked thereafter and added another two minutes from regulation time. Douhou was a benificary of a failed clearance by the confused and crowded Kerala defence after Venkatesh failed to finish in an open goal. With the opportunity, he slammed home.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |