I League: Mohun Bagan looking for luck in must-win matchApril 15th, 2009 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Mohun Bagan will have to pull out all stops to win their final round I-league match against Mahindra United here Thursday and remain on course for winning their fourth title.
Second placed Mohun Bagan have an outside chance of winning their fourth league title and for that they will have to beat Mahindra United at the Ambedkar Stadium here. The Kolkata team will also be hoping that leaders Churchill Brothers lose their final round match against Mohammedan Sporting in Margao.
Mohun Bagan coach Karim Bencherifa hoped that his team can carry the same luck that brought them back in contention for the title.
“I am sure we can carry this luck with us. As a professional, I am always an optimistic person. The advantage is with Churchill but we can still pip them,” Bencherifa said after the practice session.
Asked if his team would be thinking more about the Margao match rather than focussing on Mahindra, Bencherifa said: “That’s not right. We are not going to lose our focus. There is no point doing so. I have already reminded the boys about the JCT match, which we drew and later found that Churchill also did so against Air India. We thought a victory could have taken us to the top. There is no point thinking about all these things now.”
The Kolkata team will also be missing its four key players — midfielders Lalkamal Bhowmick, Rakesh Masih, Brazilian Marcos Pereira and defender N.S. Manju for double bookings. The absence of Pereira, who played a key role in turning Mohun Bagan into a winning combination, could be a big blow. Karim may field Rahul Kumar along with James Singh, Ishfaq Ahmed and Tulunga.
- Mohun Bagan unhappy with Ambedkar Stadium turf - Apr 14, 2009
- I-League win with Salgaocar was sweetest, says Bencherifa - Jun 01, 2011
- Sporting challenge for confident Bagan in I-League - Jan 18, 2012
- I-League: Defending champions Salgaocar go down 0-1 to Dempo - Oct 22, 2011
- Bagan go down to Mahindra United, finish second in I-League - Apr 16, 2009
- We can defeat Salgaocar, says Air India coach - Mar 30, 2012
- Depleted Salgaocar face Mohun Bagan challenge - Apr 13, 2012
- Sporting Clube stun Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 19, 2012
- Mohun Bagan chasing record 17th Durand Cup title - Sep 21, 2009
- Mohun Bagan to play Churchill Brothers in I-League - Jan 14, 2012
- I-League: All roads lead to the Goan Derby - Jan 28, 2012
- I-League: Churchill look to close gap on Dempo - Apr 10, 2012
- I-League: Churchill Brothers face Prayag United - Mar 31, 2012
- Salgoacar's Bencherifa is I-League's best coach - Oct 18, 2011
- Mohun Bagan appoints Bhowmick as technical director - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: absence, air india, bhowmick, churchill brothers, contention, double bookings, focussing, ishfaq ahmed, karim, key role, mahindra united, manju, match, mohun bagan, New Delhi, optimistic person, pereira, practice session, victory, winning combination