I-League: Churchill, Dempo and Chirag winOctober 22nd, 2011 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata/Margao/Bangalore/Pune, Oct 22 (IANS) Super Cup champions East Bengal and title holders Salgaocar Sports Club disappointed their fans as they went down by identical 0-1 margin on the opening day of the fifth I-League soccer tournament Saturday.
Riding on a 13th minute strike by N.D. Opara, Churchill Brothers logged full points against East Bengal at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
The Goans dominated early proceedings and even after Opara had put it past rival goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh for an early lead, the pair of Opara and Gabon international Henry Arnaud tested the East Bengal defence posing continuous threats.
East Bengal took time to settle down and once they did, striker Tolgay Ozbey headed the ball into the net off a corner only to be disallowed by the linesman.
However, East Bengal came with more purpose in the second half and Tolgay struck the crossbar with an effort from inside the box in the 57th minute.
Churchill did survive some anxious moments in the dying minutes. Churchill’s Antun Kovacic was adjudged the Man-of-the-Match.
In Margao, Dempo SC defeated Salgaocar 1-0 at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. Ranti Martins, the winner of the Golden Boot in the last edition made the difference between the two teams in the 80th minute, by tapping the ball past rival goalkeeper Karanjit Singh in a one-to-one situation.
Chirag Kerala got past Hindustan Aeronautics Limited 1-0 at Bangalore. C.K. Vineet, capitalising on a defensive lapse, scored the winner in the 13th minute.
At the Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune, Lajong Football Club, Shillong, celebrated their return to the I-League holding hosts Pune FC to a goalless draw.
- I-League: East Bengal beat Salgaocar 1-0 - Mar 25, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- I-League: Defending champions Salgaocar go down 0-1 to Dempo - Oct 22, 2011
- Salgaocar inch closer towards maiden I-League title - May 19, 2011
- Salgaocar edge past Chirag 1-0 in I-League - Apr 29, 2012
- Mohun Bagan get past East Bengal 1-0 in I-league - Nov 21, 2011
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Dempo bag I-League title for record fifth time (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- East Bengal in Fed Cup semifinals - Sep 21, 2011
- East Bengal striker Tolgay fined Rs.50,000 - Apr 20, 2012
- East Bengal lead league table with win over Salgaocar - Dec 22, 2010
- East Bengal beat spirited HAL Bangalore in I-League - Jan 22, 2012
- East Bengal win 116th IFA Shield - Mar 17, 2012
- Salgaocar thrash Churchill Brothers 3-0 in I-League - Jan 22, 2012
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: anxious moments, churchill brothers, cup champions, defensive lapse, dempo, east bengal, golden boot, gurpreet singh, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, kovacic, league soccer, limited 1, linesman, opara, ranti, shillong, soccer tournament, tolgay, vineet