I had to go to biggest club in world, says RonaldoJune 21st, 2009 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): Ace striker Cristiano Ronaldo tries to explain why he has deserted Manchester United and the manager who turned him into a global phenomenon.
He says the dream of wearing the white of Real Madrid and of becoming the game’s greatest-ever player.
“Of course, I have not gone for the money. It is a new challenge and a great honour to play for Madrid Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world and they pay top wages, so it is nothing to do with money,” he said.
“The white shirt is a great honour and one I am looking forward to. It is, I think, every boy’s dream to play for Real. I grew up watching them play with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and all the other greats and there is something about that white shirt that just attracts you. It was a great dream and, fortunately, one that is coming true,” News of the World quoted Ronaldo, as saying.
And no one will be surprised to learn that Ronaldo is facing up to his new challenge with a breathtaking degree of confidence.
“When I won World Player of the Year, it was amazing. For a lot of people, that would be their peak. But I promise that is not my peak. I will get better than that. I believe I am going to improve because I am just 24. If I didn’t want to improve at 24, that would be a loser’s mentality.
“To go down as a Real Madrid great is very hard because they have had so many exceptional players. That has to be my aim, though. To go down as the greatest. It will take lots of work but that is my target,” Ronaldo said.
“If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time,” he said.
Ronaldo believes he will always have a special bond with United supporters. “I really could not have asked for any more from them. There were times when the whole of England was against me but they stood strong in their support and belief for me.” (ANI)
- Ronaldo hopes to end his career at Madrid - Sep 07, 2011
- Mourinho commits future to Madrid after Champions League failure - Apr 26, 2012
- Ronaldo advises Balotelli to 'talk less and think about playing more' - Jan 26, 2011
- Bale wants to be as good as Ronaldo - Apr 01, 2011
- Mourinho going nowhere: Cristiano Ronaldo - Mar 14, 2012
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Ronaldo, Zidane to play for Africa famine relief - Sep 27, 2011
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Man U's financial worries "sadden" Cristiano Ronaldo - Feb 14, 2010
- Rooney will prove his worth very soon: Ronaldo - Oct 29, 2010
- Real Madrid to play Apoel in Champions League - Apr 04, 2012
- Why is Cristiano sad despite winning? - Sep 03, 2012
- Zinedine Zidane won't say sorry to Materazzi: 'I'd rather die' - Mar 02, 2010
- Berlusconi dreams of buying Ronaldo for AC Milan - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: ace, aim, belief, confidence, game, global phenomenon, greatest of all time, honour, june 21, london, manchester united, mentality, new challenge, news of the world, real madrid, ronaldo, target, true news, wages, world player of the year