I had informed NRAI about my unavailability: Abhinav Bindra

April 15th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS  

Abhinav Bindra New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) After being struck off the list of core group of shooters for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, India’s Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra said that he had already informed the national body that he won’t participate in events during 2009.
Bindra and Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore’s names were removed by the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) since they haven’t participated in any national camps this year.

“I had already informed the NRAI in advance that I won’t participate in any international meet in 2009,” a surprised Bindra told reporters.

Bindra, who took time off from shooting after winning India’s first-ever individual gold at the Beijing Games last year, decided not to participate in any international events this year because none of the meets offer quota places or qualifying spots for the 2012 London Olympics.

“Abhinav took some time off after winning the gold in the 10 meters air-rifle event last year. This year he won’t be participating in any international events specially the World Cups because quota places are not available,” national coach Sunny Thomas had told IANS when the team for the two World Cups in South Korea and China was picked last month.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe