I had informed NRAI about my unavailability: Abhinav BindraApril 15th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) After being struck off the list of core group of shooters for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, India’s Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra said that he had already informed the national body that he won’t participate in events during 2009.
Bindra and Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore’s names were removed by the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) since they haven’t participated in any national camps this year.
“I had already informed the NRAI in advance that I won’t participate in any international meet in 2009,” a surprised Bindra told reporters.
Bindra, who took time off from shooting after winning India’s first-ever individual gold at the Beijing Games last year, decided not to participate in any international events this year because none of the meets offer quota places or qualifying spots for the 2012 London Olympics.
“Abhinav took some time off after winning the gold in the 10 meters air-rifle event last year. This year he won’t be participating in any international events specially the World Cups because quota places are not available,” national coach Sunny Thomas had told IANS when the team for the two World Cups in South Korea and China was picked last month.
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Selectors have to take a call on shooter Rathore - Feb 18, 2012
- I can prove myself again: Rathore - Feb 01, 2012
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Selectors didn't have faith in Rathore: NRAI president - Mar 13, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- Rathore misses CWG cut, lashes out at NRAI selection policy - Aug 31, 2010
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Rathore skips last day's trials, dropped along with Rajput - Aug 31, 2010
- NRAI asks Olympic champion Bindra to attend National Games - Feb 17, 2011
- India's London-bound shooters rue delay in government funding - Mar 31, 2012
- Indian shooters aim to cross Melbourne medal tally - Sep 12, 2010
- Abhinav to blame, says National Rifle Association - Jan 16, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, 2012 london olympics, abhinav bindra, air rifle, athens olympics, beijing, core group, national camps, national coach, national rifle association, New Delhi, nrai, olympic gold medallist, quota, rajyavardhan singh rathore, shooters, silver medallist, south korea, unavailability, world cups