I feared I was pregnant: SharapovaAugust 28th, 2012 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova said she feared she was pregnant when she contracted a stomach bug earlier this month.
Sharapova withdrew from the Canadian Open with illness, shortly after losing the Olympic women’s singles final 6-0, 6-1 to Serena Williams Aug 4.
The pain from the illness encouraged Sharapova to seek a blood test, as well as an ultrasound scan, commonly used to examine pregnant women.
“It was really weird. They told me I was fine, not pregnant. I’m like, ‘Can I get my money back’,” she said on the US Open website Monday.
Sharapova’s response was “dramatic”, she admitted.
The Russian is engaged to former NBA basketball player Sasha Vujacic, but the pair have yet to announce a date for the wedding.
Sharapova’s US Open campaign started with a straightforward 6-2, 6-2 win over Melinda Czink of Hungary Monday.
The US Open is the last of the four Grand Slam tournaments this season, and Sharapova said she would give it her all.
“This is the last big one,” she said. “This is kind of where you have to put all your energy.”
“Even though it’s not the last tournament of the year, you feel like this is where you can put all the work and effort into this one big event.”
Sharapova has been ranked No.3 in the world since the Olympics, behind only Victoria Azarenka and Agnieszka Radwanska.
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Federer, Azarenka retain top spot - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Sharapova sweats to oust Robson in round 2 - Aug 01, 2012
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- Reports on Istanbul wedding false: Sharapova - Aug 05, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova saunters past Peer - Jul 30, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Sharapova reaches US Open semi-finals - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: agnieszka radwanska, blood test, dg, former nba, grand slam tournaments, maria sharapova, melinda czink, moscow, nba basketball player, olympic women, olympics, open campaign, pregnant women, ria novosti, sasha vujacic, serena williams, stomach bug, tennis star, ultrasound, victoria azarenka