I expected the Arjuna last year itself, says archer RahulJuly 22nd, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 22 (IANS) Commonwealth Games gold medal winning archer Rahul Banerjee
was happy to be recommended for the Arjuna Award but said he expected to get the honour last year itself.
“I am really very happy. In fact, I expected it last year itself but did not get it. But this time my performance has been rewarded. It feels great,” Rahul told IANS.
Rahul’s elder sister and former world champion archer Dola Banerjee had won the Arjuna in 2005. She is the first woman archer to get the award.
“Now we have two Arjuna awardees at home. It is special. My family has always been with me. They have been my support system, especially didi. She has been my inspiration and has always egged me to do better,” said Rahul.
Asked if the award will make the archery popular he said: “I am hopeful that the sport will become popular. Hope my recognition, too, plays a part. It needs to be popular. India of late has done reasonably well at the international level.
“To budding archers my advice is complete dedication. Do not wait for equipment. Just practise with whatever you have. Once you start doing well support will follow from somewhere.”
On his preparations for the upcoming London Olympics, he said: “I am keeping my fingers crossed. The only thing in my mind is to finish on the podium and I am really working very hard for that.”
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- World's top archer Deepika is now manager at Tata Steel - Jul 14, 2012
- CWG archery: India end campaign with three gold (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG archery: Deepika wins gold, Dola bronze (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Para-athlete Prasanta Karmakar lashes out at Bengal, Railways - Jul 30, 2011
- Deepika wants to further lift her game ahead of Games - Sep 14, 2010
- Deepika happy to be World No.1, but focus is on London - Jun 21, 2012
- Limba hopes Padma Shri will popularise Indian archery - Jan 25, 2012
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- South Korea the team to beat at Olympics: Rahul Banerjee - Jul 14, 2012
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,