I don’t want to return empty-handed from London: Deepika KumariMay 9th, 2012 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 9 (IANS) After her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal, female archer Deepika Kumari is now focusing more on shooting ahead of the London Olympics next month.
“I need to focus more on shooting and train keeping in mind the weather conditions in London…Need to master the style of play according to the wind,” Deepika told mediapersons here Wednesday.
She said Koreans and Chinese would be the toughest opponents in the quadrennial showpiece. However, the change in rules have opened up the competition.
“Besides, you have USA and the Chinese Taipei as well. But looking down deeper, everyone may have an equal amount of chance as the change of rules have made the competition more open,” said 17-year-old Deepika, who won the World Cup ((Stage II) gold medal Saturday in Antalya.
Asked about her Olympic prospects, Deepika asserted she did not want to return empty-handed.
“I don’t want to rush after the gold medal..Rather, I would take every match as it comes.
“I want to create a situation so that I go on to become one of the serious contenders of a gold medal. Don’t want to return empty-handed from London.”
On her Antalya triumph, she said it was a happy moment as she had won silver till that time.
“I’m very happy on winning the World Cup, which will remain a precious moment in my life. The competition had several tough opponents from all over the world. So I had my task cut out.
“No wonder this had been my best effort so far in my career,” she added.
- Deepika happy to be World No.1, but focus is on London - Jun 21, 2012
- Archer Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title - May 05, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG archery: Deepika wins gold, Dola bronze (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Mary Kom to train with male boxers for Olympics - May 21, 2012
- CWG archery: India end campaign with three gold (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2010
- Olympics: Defar delighted to win 5000m gold eight years later - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Superb Saina first Indian shuttler in Olympics semis (India Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Japanese women grapplers sweep two golds (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Foreign coach, overseas training must for London Olympics: Deepika - Dec 03, 2010
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- Indian players continue winning in Commonwealth Games with 28 Gold, 19 Silver, 22 Bronze - Oct 10, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: antalya, archer, best effort, chinese taipei, contenders, deepika, gold medal, kolkata, koreans, kumari, london olympics, match, olympics, opponents, precious moment, prospects, showpiece, triumph, weather conditions, world cup