I don’t want new players: ScolariJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 3 (IANS) Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari does not expect to make any January signings at Stamford Bridge after sanctioning the $17 million move of Wayne Bridge to Manchester City.The left-back was at Chelsea’s Cobham training base Friday but received treatment on a minor injury. He has been given permission to speak to City manager Mark Hughes after the two clubs agreed a fee, reports the Independent.
“I don’t say to Peter that I need to buy some players. I have a good squad. I don’t expect to buy anyone. Now is the time for speculation. Every day you see 10 players linked with Chelsea to buy or sell,” Scolari was quoted as saying by the daily after a meeting with club’s chief executive Peter Kenyon.
“For five days I haven’t spoken to Peter about anything. I know sometimes the walls have ears but I haven’t spoken to Peter from 25 December until today. I’m happy with my players here, I don’t want other players,” he added.
One new name on the Chelsea team sheet for FA Cup third round meeting with League One Southend will be Michael Mancienne. The 20-year-old defender received a shock call-up from Fabio Capello for England’s friendly win in Germany in November.
“Mancienne has come back and will stay with me. He won’t go out any more on loan. Now I have seen some games and given him time to grow up. Now he’s better than before. If I have injuries I am not afraid any more.” said Scolari.
Mancienne will make his first start for the club, nearly 13 years after first coming to their attention as an eight-year-old.
- Chelsea iniative to scout for Asian football talent, three Indians selected - Jun 16, 2010
- Cole says his best playing years are yet to come - Apr 25, 2010
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Guardiola to take sabbatical from football - Apr 27, 2012
- Hiddink expected to join Chelsea soon - Jun 04, 2011
- Chelsea boss hints at summer overhaul - Feb 18, 2012
- I don't fear for my Chelsea job, says Ancelotti - Dec 11, 2010
- Ancelotti banking on transfer window to save Chelsea job - Jan 03, 2011
- Deco backs Scolari, confident Chelsea will be league champions - Jan 01, 2009
- No new players or stadium, says Chelsea chief - Nov 11, 2008
- Furious Abramovich asks players to perform or perish - Mar 21, 2010
- Ferguson furious as Chelsea's Luiz escapes red card for Rooney foul - Mar 02, 2011
- Chelsea buys Benfica defender David Luiz for 21.5 million pounds - Feb 01, 2011
- Ancelotti's position at Chelsea is safe and sound: Ferguson - Feb 27, 2011
- Fergie happy with win over Chelsea, does not feel guilty - Apr 07, 2011