I could never affords breaks like Dhoni: GangulyJuly 10th, 2008 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 10 (IANS) Former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly Thursday termed as personal Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s decision to opt out of the three-Test series against Sri Lanka, but commented he could never afford such breaks during his long career. “That’s his (Dhoni’s) personal decision and we have to respect it. But when I played my cricket I can’t remember taking such breaks during Tests. Probably, I couldn’t afford such breaks,” Ganguly told reporters here.
However, the talismanic left-hander hastened to add that Dhoni had gone through a lot of strain and stress shuttling between his twin roles of batsman and wicketkeeper.
“He is a wicket keeper. He is also our one-day captain. Besides he is also one our main batsmen. He has gone through a lot in the last few months,” he said.
Asked whether more players could toe Dhoni in future considering the amount of cricket now being played, Ganguly said: “It will depend on their position in the team and what point in their career they are then.”
“Not many players are as certain in the team as the captain. And at the present moment one player who has staged successful comebacks after taking breaks is Sachin (Tendulkar),” he said.
Ganguly, who was handed over the Castrol awards for Asian Cricketer of the year and Asian Batsman of the year at his residence Thursday, ruled out any immediate plans to retire from any form of the game.
“I am now looking forward to the three-Test series against Sri Lanka. I’ve been performing well for the last one and a half years. And as for both Tests and one day matches, I’ll continue to play as long as I perform and enjoy the game”.
However, he seemed unsure about his playing One Day Internationals after being kept out of the list of 30 probables for the Champions Trophy.
To a poser how he looked at his future ODI career now, Ganguly replied: “In terms of playing one dayers for India… I really don’t know”.
On whether he had been pushed out of the team, Ganguly said: “I am not a part of the team. Now whether I’ve been pushed out or gone out of the team, its up to you to say.”
Ganguly refused to comment on the selectors’ decision. “You just accept what you get. I don’t want to make any comment and create confusion”.
Ganguly did not think that the twenty20 format poses a challenge to the ODI and the Tests. “When ODI comes back to India, you will find every stand is full”.
“My personal feeling is that Tests, ODIs and twenty20 cricket will all survive. You require lot more skills to plays Tests and ODIs than twenty20 matches”, he said.