Hussey ready for recall to Australia’s World Cup squad

March 2nd, 2011 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI  

Sydney, Mar 2 (ANI): Australian veteran Mike Hussey has said that he is injury-free and ready to perform at the 2011 World Cup if the selectors give him a recall.

Hussey, one of Australia’s most important players, was controversially omitted from the World Cup squad last month, with selectors fearing that he wouldn’t recover in time from hamstring surgery.

Hussey’s recovery has gone according to plan, and he is all set to play for Western Australia in their Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland, starting Thursday.

With selectors considering who should replace injured paceman Doug Bollinger at the World Cup, Hussey has put his hand up for a recall.

“I have been trying hard to take my focus away from playing in the cricket World Cup - but I am over my hamstring injury and will be ready if the selectors give me the call,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Hussey, as saying.

“I am really confident of getting through Western Australia’s upcoming Sheffield Shield match against Queensland and feel I am right on track.

“I’d love the chance to play in the World Cup, but I think the selectors have made the right call to wait and see how we go over the next game or two before sending someone over to replace Doug Bollinger,” Hussey said.

Hussey felt he would have no trouble getting back into the national team.

“As frustrating as it’s been to miss out so far at the World Cup, I still can’t help but feel like I’m part of the team back at home,” Hussey told the Fox Sports website.

“Even though I am not over on the subcontinent, when you have been a part of a group for such a long time you still feel a strong sense of connection to the team,” he added. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe