Hussey likely to miss World CupJanuary 19th, 2011 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 19 (ANI): Australian batsman Michael Hussey is almost certain to miss the 2011 World Cup after undergoing surgery yesterday to repair a serious hamstring injury.
Cricket Australia has not given up hope of Hussey featuring in the World Cup, which runs from mid-February to early April, and named him in a 15-man squad yesterday.
But a leading sports physician said the veteran was facing three months on the sidelines.
Surgeons in Melbourne have reattached Hussey’s hamstring tendon to the bone after he broke down on Sunday night scampering for a second run, The Age reports.
Leading doctor Peter Larkins said the fact Hussey required surgery was grim for his World Cup prospects.
“All I’m suggesting is our experience with that particular injury, it’s a three-month plus [recovery time] in most sports,” he said.
“Even without the requirement for surgery I wouldn’t be optimistic he’d be back in five weeks’ time. The fact he had surgery ensures he won’t be going to the World Cup,” Larkins said.
Hussey’s absence would be a huge blow to Australia’s hopes of winning a fourth straight World Cup. (ANI)
- Michael Hussey may replace injured Bollinger in Oz World Cup team - Feb 26, 2011
- Hussey will be missed, but selectors made correct decision: Border - Feb 17, 2011
- Hauritz to use Warne's recovery as motivation to return for World Cup - Jan 24, 2011
- Mike Hussey frustrated with World Cup omission - Feb 09, 2011
- Michael Hussey replaces injured Bollinger in Oz World Cup team - Mar 06, 2011
- Hussey's World Cup participation in doubt due to hamstring injury - Jan 17, 2011
- Body blow to Oz as injured Michael Hussey doubtful for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- Marsh to replace injured Hussey in next three ODIs - Jan 18, 2011
- Chappell says he never told Mike Hussey to retire - Feb 22, 2011
- Hussey to be fit for World Cup in time after undergoing surgery - Jan 20, 2011
- 'Shocked' Hussey blasts CA for 'double standards' over omission due to injury - Feb 09, 2011
- Hussey ready for recall to Australia's World Cup squad - Mar 02, 2011
- Hussey doubtful for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- Michael Hussey will play a big part in rest of Oz World Cup campaign: Clarke - Mar 10, 2011
- Arthur asks Oz selectors to recall Hussey for World Cup - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: absence, batsman, cricket australia, doctor peter, jan 19, man squad, melbourne, michael hussey, miss world, peter larkins, recovery time, sidelines, sports physician, straight world, tendon, three months, veteran, world cup prospects