Hussain blames ECB for crisisJanuary 8th, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 8 (IANS) Former England captain Nasser Hussain feels that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has let down Kevin Pietersen after having shown faith in his captaincy just four months ago.Pietersen quit as England captain after a long fall-out with coach Peter Moores.
Hussain, however, said that Pietersen could have handled the situation in a better manner.
“I don’t for a minute question his motives in making it known that he could not work with Peter Moores.
“He is a single-minded character and all he will have wanted was to do what was best for the England team. But he went about it in completely the wrong way, which led to this terrible situation.”
“The ECB must have known when they made him captain that he was someone who would ask questions of his team and the management and do whatever it took to stop them under-achieving.
“That is surely what they wanted, as well as expected, from him. When it came to the crunch they weren’t quite prepared to back him to the hilt.”
Hussain said that ECB should have given a free hand to Pietersen.
“They could have said: ‘OK, we will give you everything you want, but on your head be it.’ He could have been left to run the show, then been judged once the Ashes were over.”
“The ECB would not go all the way by giving him the coaching team he wanted. To do so would have made Pietersen the most powerful England skipper there has ever been and they weren’t prepared to do that because he didn’t understand the political game or how to play it.”
- Former England cricketers blame board for current crisis (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- My quitting as skipper laid England's Ashes win foundation: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- Ashes: English media unimpressed with Oz bowling prowess - Nov 26, 2010
- Anderson defends ex-England coach Moores after Pietersen's criticism - Jan 01, 2011
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Flower, Strauss owe England's success to Fletcher - Aug 14, 2011
- Amazed my donkey remark caused a furore in India: Hussain - Sep 08, 2011
- We want to drill fear into the opposition: Pietersen - Aug 15, 2011
- Pietersen casts doubt on three-captain strategy - May 11, 2011
- Best England side I have seen, says Hussain - Aug 02, 2011
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- Kevin Pietersen says he is hungry for runs - May 25, 2011
- ECB plays down Pietersen-Moores rift - Jan 02, 2009
- ECB asks Pietersen to find a new county or risk losing his contract - Aug 11, 2010