Hulk and Witsel cost 40 millon euros each: ZenitSeptember 7th, 2012 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian champions Zenit St. Petersburg paid 40 million euros each for Brazil striker Hulk from Porto and Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel from Benfica, Zenit general director Maxim Mitrofanov said.
Following reports in the Portuguese media that the true transfer fees were far higher than the 40 million euros originally reported by Zenit, Mitrofanov showed R-Sport the sale contracts for the players, which show the fee for each as 40 million euros.
“This price reflects the market,” Mitrofanov told R-Sport on Thursday, suggesting that reports to the contrary in Portugal were the result of competitive boasting at Porto and Benfica.
“Now you can see that in Portugal there’s a tug of war going on between two clubs over who sold whom more profitably.”
Benfica delayed selling Witsel, one of their standout players last season, under they were sure that Porto had sold Hulk, he said.
“The Benfica signature only appeared on the Witsel contract after they were convinced that Porto had sold us Hulk,” he said.
Mitrofanov said he did not believe that the players were overpaid at Zenit. He did not specify their salaries, but said that they were comparable to Zenit’s existing squad, specifying Portugal midfielder Miguel Danny as an example.
“The level of their wages is at the level of leading Zenit players, no more, no less,” he said.
In addition, the Portuguese clubs could yet profit from the players depending on how much they are sold for in the future, Mitrofanov said.
“Porto receives 10 percent of Hulk’s fee if the Brazilian’s value at sale is higher than €70 million. Benfica receives 10 percent if Witsel is sold for a sum larger than €60 million.”
Both Hulk and Witsel could debut for Zenit in the Russian league at home to Terek Grozny Sep 14.
- Joining Zenit is another victory in my life: Hulk - Sep 04, 2012
- Spartak owner envies Zenit's Hulk, Witsel deals - Sep 06, 2012
- Hulk enjoys first Zenit training session - Sep 14, 2012
- Hulk's Zenit move not certain - Aug 26, 2012
- Zenit coach confirms interest in Nani - Aug 18, 2012
- Benfica in Champions League quarters after six years - Mar 07, 2012
- Dynamo slump continues with defeat against Terek - Aug 19, 2012
- Porto beat Benfica to lead Portuguese league - Mar 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Arsenal expect Arshavin in training by July 21 - Jul 05, 2012
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Huszti to Return to Hannover - Jul 23, 2012
- Zenit can win Champions League in two years: Malafeev - Sep 09, 2012
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Rubin extends contract with Sharonov - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: 60 million, axel, benfica, hulk, maxim, midfielder, millon, porto, portuguese media, ria novosti, russian champions, russian league, st petersburg, standout players, striker, terek grozny, tug of war, vm, wages, zenit