Houghton asks Indian footballers to target Swedish clubsJune 24th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Coach Bob Houghton has persuaded Indian footballers to shift their focus from America’s Major Soccer League (MLS) to Swedish league as it will present them with more opportunities.
The coach has personally asked players’ agent Eddie Rock, who has signed up goalkeeper Subrata Paul, defender Gourmangi Singh, midfielders Steven Dias and N.P. Pradeep, to look out for Swedish clubs.
“Bob has asked our agent Eddie to see if we can find some clubs in Sweden. From his personal experience Bob felt that playing in Sweden will be more beneficial than in MLS,” Dias said.
Houghton had coaching experience in both the countries but Sweden is more close to his heart because he had spent six seasons there with Malmo from 1974-79.
During his stay at Malmo, Houghton took the club to the European Cup final in 1979 and also helped them win four national championships besides finishing runner-up twice.
Houghton, who had coached Colorado Rapids in the US, has always maintained that it is the case of Indian players taking the first plunge and others to follow suit.
Pradeep concurred with Houghton and said that playing in Europe will open up a world of opportunities for Indian footballers.
“Everyone knows about the standard of football in Europe. It will make a lot of difference to our game,” he said.
- Tough for Sunil and Jeje in Rangers: Houghton - Nov 28, 2011
- Subrata, Gourmangi, Baldeep sign for Prayag - Sep 11, 2012
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Subrata Paul eyeing leagues in Japan and Saudi Arabia - Sep 01, 2009
- India's Barcelona workout will be on test in Nehru Cup (Lead, Preview) - Aug 18, 2009
- India's Barcelona work-out will be on test in Nehru Cup (Preview) - Aug 18, 2009
- AIFF comes down hard on Pradeep - May 06, 2011
- Paul leaves for Vancouver, Gourmangi for Melbourne - Jun 01, 2010
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Houghton expects Portugal camp to be productive - Jun 30, 2010
- India have to raise their game to retain Nehru Cup (Preview) - Aug 30, 2009
- Paul to appear for Vancouver trials after I-League - Apr 08, 2010
- Chettri doubtful, Bhaichung ruled out for Iraq tie - Nov 10, 2010
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: bob houghton, coach bob, colorado rapids, dias, europe, footballers, heart, june 24, major soccer league, malmo, midfielders, mls, national championships, New Delhi, personal experience, plunge, subrata paul, sweden, swedish clubs, swedish league