‘Hot’ new extreme sport: Volcano boarding!May 8th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 8 (ANI): A ‘hot’ new adrenaline sport called ‘volcano boarding’ has been developed by a group of thrill-seekers.
In the sport, participants race at speeds of up to 50mph down the side of an active volcano.
While wearing protective jump suits, knee-pads and helmets, the boarders visited the foothills of Nicaragua’s Cerro Negro mountain, and climbed 726 metres (2,382ft) to travel down on specially-constructed plywood boards.
Cerro Negro is Central America’s youngest volcano and appeared in April 1850. It has been one of the most active volcanoes in Nicaragua, reports The Telegraph.
But its unstable reputation didn’t stop Phillip Southan, owner of Bigfoot Hostel and Green Pathways Tours, which developed the sport.
He said: “The volcano is very active. But the biggest risk is the risk is getting some scratches if you fall off. What we offer is a tour for everyone with absolutely no experience necessary. One of the greatest attractions of the tour is that you get a bit of everything.
“Nicaraguan rural culture, hiking, amazing views, walking in an active volcano and then of course the high adrenaline boarding down the volcano.” (ANI)
- Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal project - Sep 08, 2012
- Ricky Martin defends gay rights - Oct 16, 2011
- Venezuela pays Exxon $250 mn for nationalized assets - Feb 17, 2012
- Nicaragua ready to shelter Gaddafi - Aug 24, 2011
- Nicaraguan diplomat found dead in NY apartment - Sep 24, 2010
- Google Maps error leads to Nicaraguan invasion of Costa Rica island - Nov 06, 2010
- Eruption underway at Nicaragua's San Cristobal volcano - Sep 07, 2009
- Nicaragua exceeds one mn foreign tourists for first time - Dec 30, 2010
- Tropical Hurricane Ida Makes Landfall, Homes Evacuated - Nov 05, 2009
- Weekend tourists drive adventure tourism in India (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Polish airspace safe despite Iceland volcano eruption - May 24, 2011
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Nicaraguan women seek to restore legal abortion - Sep 29, 2010
- Extreme sports enthusiasts actually very cautious - Jul 15, 2009
- For adventurous holiday, head for Kikar Lodge (With Images, Feature) - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: active volcanoes, adrenaline sport, boarders, central america, cerro negro, extreme sport, helmets, jump suits, knee pads, negro mountain, nicaragua, participants, pathways, plywood boards, reputation, risk, scratches, telegraph, thrill seekers, volcano