Hoogenband says ’special athlete’ Thorpe can win another gold in LondonFebruary 8th, 2011 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Abu Dhabi, Feb 8(ANI): Former Dutch swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband believes that five-time Olympic gold medallist Ian Thorpe can add to his gold medal tally during the 2012 London Olympics.
“I think he can win the 100m freestyle. That would be something. To have the 400m, 200m, 100m Olympic gold medal is history, that’s amazing,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Hoogenband, as saying.
“I’m one of the few swimmers that was always next to him and when you’re always next to him … you know he’s special. When you’re racing Thorpey, his technique, he’s a special, special athlete,” he added.
Thorpe has announced that he will return to competitive swimming in a bid to contest the 2012 London Olympics.
The 28-year-old had earlier retired from swimming in 2006 following a long battle with illness and injury. (ANI)
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Ian Thorpe to return for 2012 London Olympics - Feb 02, 2011
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- Chinese swimming star Sun Yang aims higher - Aug 17, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Thorpe's comeback announcement praised and panned on Twitter - Feb 02, 2011
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Australia's Thorpe eyes London Olympics comeback - May 03, 2010
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 100m freestyle, 2012 london olympics, 400m, abu dhabi, athlete, competitive swimming, ian thorpe, medal tally, morning herald, olympic gold medal, olympic gold medallist, olympics, pieter van den, pieter van den hoogenband, swimmer, swimmers, sydney morning herald, van den hoogenband