Holders Manchester United held by Villarreal in openerSeptember 18th, 2008 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 18 (DPA) Holders Manchester United made a slow start to the defence of their Champions League title as they were held to a goalless draw at home by Spanish side Villarreal at Old Trafford.In other matches Wednesday, Arsenal needed a late equaliser to salvage a 1-1 draw at Dynamo Kiev, while there were wins for Juventus, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Porto.
Manchester’s Cristiano Ronaldo made his first appearance of the season as a substitute, and he almost set up a goal, but team-mate Jonny Evans headed against the post.
Villarreal also hit the post but were grateful for United’s profligacy for snatching a point.
William Gallas scored a late equaliser as Arsenal pinched a 1-1 draw at Dynamo Kiev, while Alessandro Del Piero scored the only goal as Juventus edged out Zenit St.Petersburg.
Ruud van Nistelrooy and Sergio Ramos scored as Real Madrid beat BATE Borisov 2-0, while Daniel van Buyten was the scorer as Bayern Munich won 1-0 at Steau Bucharest.
Celtic were held to a goalless draw by AAB Aalborg, Porto beat Fenerbahce 3-1, and Lyon came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at home with Fiorentina.
- Ferguson shrugs off draw with Villarreal - Sep 18, 2008
- Bayern to miss Robben, Kroos in Champions League clash at City - Dec 07, 2011
- Comfortable wins for top clubs in Champions League - Oct 22, 2008
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Arsenal, United and Real progress in Champions League - Nov 26, 2008
- Real shine under Ramos; Manchester held in Champions League - Dec 11, 2008
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Good victories for Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid - Oct 01, 2008
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Manchester teams score season's first victories in Champions League - Oct 19, 2011
- Juve beat Real again as Giggs leaves it late for United - Nov 06, 2008
- Champions League winners - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Good wins for Wolfsburg, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich - Sep 16, 2009
- Villarreal face Manchester City in crucial Champions League tie - Nov 01, 2011