Hodgson set to be named as England football managerApril 30th, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 30 (IANS) Roy Hodgson is set to be named the head coach of England after it was revealed the West Brom manager is in talks with the Football Association (FA).
The 64-year-old is the only candidate to have been interviewed for the role, despite many tipping Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp to succeed Fabio Capello, after the Italian quit the post in February, Xinhua reported.
But the FA have not approached the Tottenham boss, who watched his side keep their Champions League aspirations alive with a 2-0 win over Blackburn Sunday.
West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace Sunday granted permission for the FA to hold talks with their manager, and Hodgson has already had a conversation with FA chief David Bernstein.
“Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out soon after Fabio Capello’s departure,” the FA said in a statement.
Hodgson is one of the most well-travelled coaches England has ever produced and has worked as head coach of Switzerland, United Arab Emirates and Finland.
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Guardiola, Capello, Redknapp on official Russia shortlist - Jul 10, 2012
- Spalletti backs Capello for Russia - Jul 15, 2012
- Capello's successor should be from England: Redknapp - Jun 29, 2010
- Lampard backs uncle Redknapp to be England's next boss - Nov 06, 2010
- Hodgson to take over as West Ham coach next week - Feb 12, 2011
- Capello resigns, Stuart checks in as caretaker England boss - Feb 09, 2012
- New FA chief wants Capello's successor to be English - Dec 23, 2010
- England FA sees Tottenham boss Redknapp as one of Capello's successors - Dec 06, 2010
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Redknapp is Fergie's choice for England manager after Capello - Jan 16, 2011
- Capello holds talks for Russia job: Sports Minister (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Capello believes Allardyce or Redknapp can replace him - Dec 10, 2010
- FA may bring McClaren back as Three Lions boss - Oct 06, 2010
- Lampard backs uncle Redknapp to succeed Capello as England boss - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: appointment, aspirations, boss, champions league, chief david, david bernstein, england football, fabio capello, finland, football association, football manager, head coach, peace, roy hodgson, switzerland, timescale, tottenham, united arab emirates, west brom, xinhua