Hockey India’s league in January with six teamsJune 1st, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) Hockey India’s (HI) ambitious professional league will hit-in during January-February next year with six city-based teams to start with.
HI secretary-general Narinder Batra told IANS Friday that they have identified 12 cities, but only the top six bidders will play in the inaugural edition. The 30-day tournament will start from first or second week of January.
“We have identified 12 cities and the top six bidders will have the teams. Talks are on with the sponsors, broadcasters and also groups, who have shown interest in buying team franchise,” Batra told IANS.
Batra also said that each franchise will have a budget of Rs.3 crore to form a 24- member squad, comprising 10 overseas and 14 domestic players who will be bought in auction.
“But on a given time during the match, only five foreigners can be on the field,” he said.
HI has created a pool of 96 domestic players, who will be taking part in the league. HI’s league will also enjoy the approval of the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
Batra also said that talks are going on with broadcasters for the league. “We are also in talks with broadcasters but not with Neo Sports,” he said.
Neo Sports and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), which is not recognised by FIH, recently held the unsanctioned World Series Hockey (WSH), which failed to attract much attention.
Top internationals, fearing bans, skipped the WSH, but they are expected to be part of HI’s professional league.
- Hockey India signs 28 domestic players for pro-league - Jun 08, 2012
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
- Six top Indian hockey players pull out of WSH - Nov 30, 2011
- 'HI has to deal with players appearing in World Series Hockey' - May 11, 2011
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- Sahara pick up Lucknow franchise of HI League - Jul 23, 2012
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- World Series Hockey an unsanctioned event: FIH - Jul 22, 2011
- Players have to decide between India and WSH: Hockey India - Nov 16, 2011
- FIH gives HI and IHF a month to resolve tangle - Feb 27, 2012
- High Court paves way for players' participation in WSH - Feb 13, 2012
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- World Series Hockey postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: batra, bidders, broadcasters, crore, fih, foreigners, franchise, ihf, inaugural edition, indian hockey federation, international hockey federation, match, member squad, narinder, neo sports, New Delhi, professional league, secretary general, world series, wsh