Hockey India to pursue Leslie’s quest for lost gold medalsJuly 24th, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Legendary Olympian Leslie Claudius can heave a sigh of relief as Hockey India (HI) will be pursuing his request to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) of providing him with replicas of his four Olympic medals, including three gold that were stolen from his Kolkata residence.
HI secretary-general Narinder Batra told IANS Tuesday that he has asked Olympian and former India captain Gurbux Singh to furnish the details so that he can take up the matter with the IOC and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
The issue was raised by Gurbux, who is also the secretary-general of Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) during a meeting of HI.
“We have asked Gurbux-ji to provide us with the details and copies of letters written to the IOC and the IOA. Leslie Claudius is a legend and it is a matter of the country. We will take up the matter immediately. In fact we are even ready to bear the cost of the replica medals,” said Batra.
Claudius had won three gold medals in London (1948), Helsinki (1952) and Melbourne (1956) and the silver in Rome (1960).
Claudius, along with his team mate Udham Singh enjoy the rare distinction of being in the Guinness Book of World Records (now Guinness Book of World Records)for having won the maximum number of Olympic medals in field hockey.
But the 85-year-old Claudius lost all those golden memories since the medals were stolen from his residence decades ago.
Gurbux said that in the past there have been cases when IOC has provided sportspersons, whose medals were stolen or misplaced, with replicas for payment.
“Earlier there have been instances that a gold medal of a particular person was replaced on a certain payment. I think it is high time for us to get the medals back for Leslie,” said Gurbux.
- Hockey Olympic gold medallists to get cash awards - Jun 15, 2012
- 1948 hockey trio backs India to do well in London - Jun 24, 2012
- 1956 Olympics: India's dominance continues - Jul 11, 2012
- This is absolutely thrilling: Hockey legend Claudius - Feb 27, 2012
- Hockey India inducts Hockey Bhopal in its fold - Sep 13, 2012
- 1964 Olympics: India regain hockey supremacy (Sports Special) - Jul 13, 2012
- HI lauds appointment of Ajit Pal's as Chef-de-Mission - Apr 03, 2012
- 1960 Olympics hockey: Pakistan dethrone India (Sports Special) - Jul 12, 2012
- We taught the world how to play hockey: Leslie Claudius (Lead, Interview) - Apr 14, 2012
- We taught the world how to play hockey: Leslie Claudius (Interview) - Apr 14, 2012
- 1952 Olympics: Babu leads bunch of no-hopers to fifth gold (Sports Special) - Jul 10, 2012
- Kalmadi wants 'rubber stamp' hockey chief, says Pargat - Jul 26, 2010
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- Hockey India handled sexual harassment case in childish manner: Pargat - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: batra, bha, book of world records, claudius, gold medal, gold medals, golden memories, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, helsinki 1952, high time, hockey association, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, melbourne 1956, narinder, olympic medals, rare distinction, replica medals, team mate