Hockey India to appoint foreign expertJune 1st, 2011 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Hockey India (HI) decided to form a five-member committee to look for a foreign expert for the Indian team.
The decision came after HI reviewed the team’s poor performance in the Azlan Shah Cup and discussed the remedial action required ahead of important tournaments like the Champions Trophy and the Olympic qualifiers at home. India finished sixth in the tournament in Malaysia.
The five member committee will be chaired by former international Pargat Singh, who is also the head of HI’s coaching and development committee.
The other members of the committee are S.S. Grewal, Balbir Singh, Jagbir Singh and A.B. Subbiah.
“The commitee will report back to us with names within 15 days,” said HI secretary general Narinder Batra.
Asked whether the foreign expert can take over as the coach, Batra said: “The role of the expert is still to be decided. We can also hire him as an advisor depending on the requirements of the team.”
Batra said that the present team management, including Harendra Singh, who took over the coaching job from Spaniard Jose Brasa, will continue.
“There are however some corrective measures in specific areas that need to be taken and we are looking into it.”
Selector Balbir Singh, who was also the manager for the Azlan Shah tournament, has pointed out poor fitness as one of the major reasons behind the team’s showing.
“The fitness level of our players were not at par with other teams. It made a major difference,” Balbir said.
Coach Harendra his support staff, selectors, former players and HI officials were present in the meeting.
- Hockey India reviews Azlan Shah performance - May 31, 2011
- Azlan Shah debacle to be thoroughly reviewed: HI - May 16, 2011
- Qualifying for Olympics a big challenge: Pargat - Jun 01, 2011
- HI announces squad for Sultan Azlan Shah - Apr 19, 2011
- Hockey India short-lists five foreigners for coach's job - Jun 16, 2011
- HI shortlists coaches and support staff for national teams - Jan 05, 2011
- HI calls meeting of selectors, coaches to sort out players' issue - Aug 24, 2011
- HI fixes another date to complete interviews for coaches' post - Jan 23, 2011
- Hockey national could go the Ranji Trophy way - Jun 15, 2011
- Sports ministry not keen on foreign hockey coach - Apr 15, 2011
- HI bans Sandeep, Sardara for two years - Aug 27, 2011
- Brasa's fallout with Hockey India is over Prabhjot's recall - Aug 27, 2010
- Indian hockey team to play in Hamburg Masters - Jun 16, 2010
- Tough challenge for India in men's hockey - Sep 09, 2010
- Harendra hits out at Pargat, accuses him of match-fixing - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: azlan shah cup, azlan shah tournament, balbir singh, batra, brasa, champions trophy, coaching job, commitee, corrective measures, grewal, home india, member committee, narinder, olympic qualifiers, poor fitness, poor performance, remedial action, selectors, spaniard, team management