Hockey India handled sexual harassment case in childish manner: PargatJuly 26th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) Former India captain Pargat Singh has criticised Hockey India (HI) for its handling of the accusations of sexual harassment against coach M.K. Kaushik.
“The way they handled the matter was childish. It is basically because of an inefficient administration. They did not handle it in a professional manner,” said Pargat, an Olympian, who is a candidate for the president’s post in HI elections slated for Wednesday.
Pargat said the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) should have taken up the matter.
“They should have formed a redressal cell having an independent person with a legal mind. For matters like these, there should be a grievances cell. It should be independent and not involved in politics. Any player can register their complaint without fear,” he said.
Indian hockey was rocked by yet another controversy last week after a player Ranjitha Devi levelled charges of sexual harassment against Kaushik. HI also sacked the videographer M. Basavaraja after photographs of him with a prostitute, during an overseas tour, surfaced in the media.
Kaushik, also an Olympian, quit and maintained that the accusations were baseless and a conspiracy to tarnish his image.
HI has formed a four-member committee comprising Rajiv Mehta (chairman), former players Zafar Iqbal and Ajit Pal Singh and Sudarshan Pathak.
HI also told the government that it will not need the services of Kaushik in future. HI secretary general Narinder Batra submitted the report of the internal probe committee, which looked into the allegations of sexual harassment against Kaushik, to the Sports Authority of India (SAI), the sports ministry and also marked a copy to the Delhi police commissioner.
- Zafar finds hockey player's allegations weak - Jul 21, 2010
- Probe panel submits report to Hockey India - Jul 23, 2010
- Kaushik quits as women's hockey coach - Jul 21, 2010
- Panel submits report to HI on sexual harrasement charges (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- HI not to avail Kaushik's services in future - Jul 24, 2010
- Kaushik raises doubts over Hockey India probe - Jul 26, 2010
- Hockey India submits probe report to government, police (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Gill for CBI probe of sex scandal in women's hockey - Jul 22, 2010
- Gill promises impartial justice to women hockey players - Jul 26, 2010
- Sexual harassment allegations rock Indian women's hockey - Jul 20, 2010
- Sexual harassment charge: Teammates to be quizzed - Jul 22, 2010
- Kalmadi wants 'rubber stamp' hockey chief, says Pargat - Jul 26, 2010
- Hurt Kaushik vows not to come back as women's coach (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Pargat Singh fires another salvo at IOA President - Jan 27, 2010
- HI lauds appointment of Ajit Pal's as Chef-de-Mission - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: ajit, batra, delhi police, independent person, indian hockey, indian olympic association, internal probe, ioa, iqbal, member committee, narinder, pathak, police commissioner, professional manner, rajiv mehta, sexual harassment case, sports authority, sports ministry, sudarshan, videographer