Historic SCG to get $186 million faceliftJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 3 (IANS) The hostoric Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) currently hosting its 100th Test is all set to get a $186 million facelift and will don a new look for the 2014 Ashes.
SCG Trust chairman Rodney Cavalier Tuesday announced the renovations plans which include the demolition of MA Noble, Bradman and Messenger stands to make way for a complex housing better facilities for the spectators and the media. The capacity of the stadium, which was built in 1848, will also be increased to 48,000 from the existing 44,000.
“The new stands are another moment in the ground’s evolution,” Cavalier said.
“The design instructions made it expressly clear that, when the work is completed, the stands will look like they have always belonged inside one of the world’s greatest cricket grounds. Just as the Victor Trumper Stand fits in so beautifully.”
“The Noble, Bradman and Messenger stands no longer meet the requirements of the modern day spectator. Their useful life is fast drawing to a close. Sightlines are obstructed by roof supporting pylons,” Cavalier said of the stands built in 1936, 1973 and 1984.
“The on-going costs of maintaining the existing stands continue to increase year on year. Additions, renovations and other upgrades have not greatly improved the viewing environment, access and egress for spectators, particularly the elderly and the disabled,” he added.
The blend of new and old structures at the SCG will be maintained with the retention of the Member and Pavillion and the Ladies Stand.
- Tendulkar conferred SCG honorary life membership - Feb 26, 2012
- Will SCG's 100th Test inspire Sachin to score a ton? - Dec 30, 2011
- SCG management resists pressure to install drop-in pitches - May 04, 2011
- Australia declare at 659/4 after Clarke's triple ton - Jan 05, 2012
- Sydney cricket ground stand not to be named after Waugh - May 17, 2008
- India lose Sehwag early, trail Australia by 415 (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Honoured to be part of Clarke's great innings: Hussey - Jan 05, 2012
- Clarke's triple century makes it tough for India (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2012
- Clarke, Ponting virtually bat India out of SCG Test (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- Wet pitches hamper Indians' practice session - Jan 30, 2012
- India 72/4 at lunch against Australia - Jan 03, 2012
- Taylor praises Clarke for putting team ahead of personal milestones - Jan 05, 2012
- Bradman, Taylor's record didn't cross my mind, says Clarke - Jan 05, 2012
- Clarke close to signing $1 mn bat deal - Jan 09, 2012
- India 178/8 against Australia at tea - Jan 03, 2012