Historic day for Indian boxing, says ChautalaJuly 29th, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) president Abhay Singh Chautala called it a “historic” day for the sport in the country after Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Singh and four-time world boxing champion M.C.Marykom were declared recipients of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award.
For the first time since the inception of the Khel Ratna award in 1991, three sportspersons - Marykom, and Olympic bronze medallists boxer Vijender and wrestler Sushil Kumar - will receive the country’s highest sporting honour in the same year.
The only other time more than one sportsperson were bestowed the award was in 2002-03 when shooter Anjali Vedpathak and athlete K.M. Beenamol shared it.
It was more heartening for the Indian Boxing Federation as two boxers will receive the honour.
“It is the first time in India that any single discipline has received two Khel Ratnas in the same year,” Chautala said in a statement.
“They have done the sport proud by their achievements. I thank the government and Sports Minister M.S. Gill for having taken the bold step of giving recognition to the deserving sportspersons.”
IBF secretary general P.K. Muralidharan Raja said it will not only boost their morale for their earlier achievements but will also spur them to reach greater heights in International Championships.
“Vijender will get an opportunity to break the jinx that India has not won a single medal at the World Boxing Championships in September. Similarly Marykom may get an opportunity to bring India its first Olympics medal if the sport gets introduced at London Olympic Games 2012.”
- My journey has just begun: Vijender - Jul 29, 2009
- Marykom, Sushil and Vijender to get Khel Ratna - Jul 29, 2009
- More than one sportsperson to get Khel Ratna - Jul 20, 2009
- More than two sportspersons likely to get Khel Ratna (correcting intro, lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Life comes a full circle for Mary Kom (Profile) - Aug 08, 2012
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- Vijender, Mary Kom, and Sushil get Khel Ratna - Jul 29, 2009
- President presents Khel Ratna, Arjuna awards - Aug 29, 2009
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- P T Usha to head selection committee for National sports awards - Jul 23, 2010
- President Patil presents National Sports awards to 25 sportspersons - Aug 29, 2009
- Two boxers, one wrestler to get Khel Ratna award - Aug 29, 2009
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: abhay, anjali, bold step, boxing federation, chautala, first olympics, jinx, khel, muralidharan, olympic bronze medallist, olympic games, olympic games 2012, olympics medal, raja, rajiv gandhi, sportsperson, sushil kumar, time in india, time world, world boxing