Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30September 19th, 2011 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 19 (IANS) More than 100 intrepid cyclists, including foreigners, will pedal through the lofty and rocky terrains of Himachal Pradesh this month in the seventh edition of the Hercules Mountain Biking Himachal-2011, the organisers said Monday.
“As many as 110 cyclists, including 20 foreigners, will participate in the eight-day mountain biking expedition that will be flagged off from Shimla Sep 30,” Mohit Sood, president of the city-based Himalayan Adventure Sports and Tourism Promotion Association (HASTPA), told reporters.
He said cyclists from Nepal, Austria, Switzerland, Britain, France, Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe, besides India, will take part in the event.
Last year, there were 81 participants, including 12 foreigners from four countries.
The 530-km expedition will test the endurance levels and riding skills of the cyclists.
“The Hatu peak (3,150 m) in upper Shimla is the highest point on the rally route. The entire route will test both men and machines,” he added.
Cyclists from Nepal have dominating the expeditions in the past few years. Nepal’s Ajay Pandit and Padam Sabenhang won the sixth and fifth editions, respectively, of the expedition.
Covering the most rugged and inhospitable terrain, Hercules Mountain Biking Himachal has been billed as the third toughest mountain biking event in the world, next to the Trans-Alps Challenge (Europe) and Trans Rockies (Canada).
Indian cyclists include teams from the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.
The expedition will conclude in Shimla Oct 8.
- Nepal cyclist wins Himachal mountain biking event - Oct 30, 2010
- 76 cyclists to test skills on lofty mountains - Oct 23, 2010
- Over 70 cyclists to rally in Himachal's mountains - Oct 14, 2010
- Padam second time winner at Himachal mountain biking - Oct 07, 2009
- Nepal woman cyclist makes it three on the trot - Oct 08, 2011
- 70 set off on cycles to conquer rocky Himalayan terrain - Sep 27, 2009
- Swine flu takes toll on Himachal's mountain biking event - Sep 25, 2009
- Nepal woman pedals towards win in Himachal - again - Oct 05, 2011
- Here comes India's 'toughest' cycle expedition - Sep 17, 2009
- High adrenaline adventures in Himachal's rugged trails - Jun 01, 2011
- Raid-de-Himalaya rally set to begin Oct 1 - Sep 18, 2011
- Sixth edition of mountain cycling competition ends in Shimla - Oct 31, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Paes, Nicole Faria to ride in BSA Hercules India Cyclothon (With Images) - Apr 21, 2011
- Rana, Frauwallner seal mountain rally honours - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: adventure sports, ajay, challenge europe, endurance levels, fifth editions, hatu, himachal pradesh, indian air force, indian army, inhospitable terrain, intrepid cyclists, mountain biking, padam, pandit, promotion association, rally route, rockies canada, shimla, tourism promotion, trans rockies