Hilditch backs Phillip Hughes as future Aussie openerJanuary 8th, 2009 - 3:36 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan.8 (ANI): Australian crickets chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch has given opener Phillip Hughes a ringing endorsement as Australia looks to replace Matthew Hayden
Hilditch’’s comments are a sign the selectors are seriously considering the 20-year-old for higher honours in the not too distant future.
“As far as Phillip Hughes is concerned, he is a very fine player and showing great potential,” the Courier Mail quoted Hilditch, as saying.
“Some players will unfortunately have to play three or four years of first class cricket and put up huge numbers to force their way in the side and others, if the opportunity presents itself will be considered earlier than that, he added.
“He is quite exciting, he is a young player who obviously has an ability to score big runs in (Sheffield) Shield cricket, he is an exciting player and we are watching him carefully,” he said.
Hilditch’’s comments must be highly encouraging as Hughes” youth and relative inexperience even in first class ranks have been highlighted as possible stumbling blocks in his path to a Test berth.
The 20-year-old’’s ability to also play as a back-up wicketkeeper could help in squad selections for upcoming tours of South Africa and England this year.
Hughes has posted 1337 runs at 53.48 in 16 first class matches to date and just under 60 in the Sheffield Shield this summer. (ANI)
- NSW pacer Hazlewood raring to fire in India with an eye on the Ashes - Sep 03, 2010
- Hughes can't wipe the smile off his face after Oz recall - Dec 22, 2009
- Hilditch supports out-of-form Hughes to be long-term Oz Test opener - Jan 03, 2011
- Hayden to lead push to prevent axing of Sheffield Shield final - Feb 02, 2011
- Green SCG wicket could hinder Ashes hopes of Khawaja, Hughes: Watson - Nov 10, 2010
- Hilditch backs review panel recommendations - Aug 19, 2011
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Ponting calls on selectors to take quick decision on new Aussie opener - Feb 04, 2009
- Pak-born Khawaja becomes first Muslim to represent Australia in Test cricket - Jun 22, 2010
- Kim Hughes says Ric Charlesworth should review ailing Oz cricket system - Jan 11, 2011
- Australia opts for blend of youth and experience for daunting India Test series - Sep 02, 2010
- Ex-Test opener Jacques puts his hand up for Oz team selection - Feb 22, 2011
- International matches better preparation for Tests than first-class cricket: Hilditch - Nov 23, 2009
- Arthur asks Oz selectors to recall Hussey for World Cup - Mar 02, 2011
- Hughes makes a comeback for Pakistan series - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: australia, berth, class cricket, class ranks, courier mail, crickets, distant future, endorsement, england, first class, great potential, honours, matthew hayden, play three, relative inexperience, selectors, sheffield shield, shield cricket, south africa, sydney