Higuain tricks as Argentina decimate South Korea 4-1 (Lead)June 17th, 2010 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 17 (DPA) Gonzalo Higuain scored a hat-trick, the first of the tournament, as Argentina Thursday took a giant step towards the World Cup knockout stage with a comfortable 4-1 victory over South Korea to remain perfect in Group B.
An own goal by Park Chu Young opened the scoring in the 17th minute and Higuain made it 2-0 for the two-time world champions after 33 minutes in bitterly cold but sunny conditions at Soccer City here.
Lee Chung Yong halved the deficit a minute into first half stoppage time. But Higuain added his second goal of the day in the 76th minute and completed the hat-trick in the 80th.
Argentina improved to six points in Group B and will book a spot in the Round of 16 should Greece and Nigeria play to a draw in Thursday’s other group match later. South Korea remained on three points.
Both coaches made one change from their opening match line-ups, with Maxi Rodriguez replacing Juan Sebastian Veron in the Argentina midfield and Oh Beom Seok filling in for Cha Du Ri at right back for South Korea.
Argentina controlled the game early on though Angel Di Maria and Higuain both missed chances in the first eight minutes.
The South Americans grabbed the lead at the 17-minute mark on the own goal. Lionel Messi’s free kick into the area deflected off the right shin of Korean striker Park Chu Young at the edge of the box and past dumbfounded keeper Jung Sung Ryong.
South Korea tried to answer the opening goal with a long blast two minutes later by Ki Sung Yeung, who went just over the crossbar.
Argentina nearly doubled the advantage in the 28th but Carlos Tevez’s nearly 25-yard free kick went just over the bar.
But Man of the Match Higuain got the job done in the 33rd minute. Rodriguez struck a cross which was flicked on by Nicolas Burdisso to the Real Madrid striker, who was left unmarked at the far right post and headed home a downward header.
Argentina continued their push forward, but keeper Jung fended away a tough blast by Di Maria in the 39th minute. And Messi was just inches wide right with a chip shot a minute before the break.
South Korea stole a goal back a minute into first half stoppage time as Argentina defender Martin Demichelis did not see a charging Lee Chung Yong, who snatched the ball from the Bayern Munich centre back and then poked a shot past Argentine keeper Sergio Romero.
Little changed after the break with Diego Maradona’s men the dominating team - though Jung came up with a fine stop on Higuain’s shot in the 52nd minute.
The Asians however had a golden chance on the counter attack six minutes later but Yeom Ki Hun’s left foot attempt went just inches wide right.
Messi was magical at moments but remained without a goal - though he set up the 3-1 score in the 76th minute. Korean keeper Jung stopped the Barca star’s first attempt only to watch Messi’s rebound shot bang off the near left post directly to Higuain, who slotted into the empty net.
Higuain was the beneficiary of some beautiful passing to complete his hat-trick in the 80th minute. Messi looped the ball over the Korean defence to Sergio Aguero, who sent a fine cross Higuain for a header against the run of Jung for a 4-1 scoreline.
- Maradona praises his sensational team after victory (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Higuain hat-trick gives Argentina easy win over South Korea - Jun 17, 2010
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- South Korea draw with Nigeria to advance to last 16 (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- South Korea beat Greece in Group B opener (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Birthday boy Messi needs gift of a goal - Jun 23, 2010
- Messi, Argentina blames vuvuzelas for South Korean goal - Jun 17, 2010
- Messi shines as Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Real Madrid top La Liga as Barcelona held - Oct 23, 2011
- Argentina down Greece 2-0, top Group B (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Uruguay beat South Korea 2-1 to reach quarter-finals (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Germany beat Japan to win Algarve Cup - Mar 08, 2012
- Messi shines, Argentina beat Nigeria (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Real Madrid beat Levante, clear toppers on La Liga chart - Feb 13, 2012
- Great chance for Higuain to surpass El Diego - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: carlos tevez, cha du ri, crossbar, free kick, giant step, gonzalo higuain, hat trick, juan sebastian veron, line ups, lionel messi, maxi rodriguez, nicolas burdisso, real madrid, soccer city, south korea, stoppage time, striker park, sunny conditions, time world champions, world cup knockout stage