Hiddink warns Chelsea stars to play for their futureMay 5th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 5 (ANI): Guus Hiddink has warned his Chelsea stars that they are playing for their future, and insisted that he will not be hoodwinked by one decent game even if it against Barcelona tomorrow.
At least six big names of the club are under the spotlight with Nicolas Anelka, Florent Malouda, Salomon Kalou and Deco most at risk. Chelsea plan to sell this summer to fund new signings, while other contracts will not be renewed.
Even though boss Hiddink may not be staying beyond the end of this month, he will have a big say on who remains at Stamford Bridge, The Sun reports.
The Dutchman meets with owner Roman Abramovich over the next two weeks and the Blues’ performance against Barca in their Champions League semi-final second leg is bound to influence his decision.
“There are, in many clubs, some players who start playing very well in April and May as they know that decisions will be made at the end of the season. You can see that in the whole history of the game. All of a sudden, you see players coming up in these times.
“But, generally speaking, even if players’ contracts are expiring, at a big club you must have this responsibility to deliver. I can have an influence on these players. Not on the people who decide in this club - but I will always make suggestions,” Hiddink said.
Chelsea, who also have the FA Cup final with Everton on the horizon, believe Anelka, Malouda, Kalou and Deco are the most saleable players - as well as being dispensable.
Anelka is the club’s top league scorer but, with Didier Drogba returning to form and fitness, his place in the team is no longer guaranteed. (ANI)
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Kalou, Bosingwa leave Chelsea - Jul 01, 2012
- Ancelotti takes up 50 million pound job with Chelsea - Jun 01, 2009
- Hiddink expected to join Chelsea soon - Jun 04, 2011
- Chelsea confident of getting Hiddink - May 24, 2011
- Chelsea to spend 18.6 million pounds to snare Russian star Yuri Zhirkov - May 30, 2009
- Chelsea boss Ancelotti says Sturridge's twin-goals saved him from 'running naked' - Jan 04, 2010
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
- Chelsea posses best attack of Premier League: Ancelotti - Apr 02, 2011
- Drogba arrives in China to rousing reception - Jul 14, 2012
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Guus Hiddink rules out dramatic Chelsea comeback - Apr 15, 2011
- Hiddink to coach Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala - Dec 21, 2011
- Shanghai Shenhua confirms contract with Drogba - Jun 19, 2012
- Chelsea has depth to play fantastic football: Ancelotti - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: barca, boss, champions league, contracts, decent game, decisions, drogba, dutchman, everton, fa cup final, florent malouda, guus hiddink, horizon, new signings, nicolas anelka, owner roman abramovich, salomon kalou, scorer, spotlight, stamford bridge