HI to send junior side for Pakistan seriesMarch 19th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Hockey India (HI) will be sending its ‘development side’ for a tri-nation series in Pakistan also involving Malaysia to be held in Lahore April 9-13.
The series, however, is subject to government approval. The team was picked after selection trials at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Centre, Bangalore held March 16 and 17. The team was selected by Hockey India selectors B.P. Govinda and Syed Ali, along with government observer Harbinder Singh.
Midfielder Gurbaj Singh, who has 140 international caps, will be leading the side while young medio Manpreet Singh will be his deputy.
The team includes four players who represented India in the recently concluded Olympic Qualifiers. The HI ‘development side’ comprises mostly youngsters ready for international matches but needing experience to play at the senior level.
Goalkeepers: P.T. Rao, Nanak Singh
Defenders: Rupinderpal Singh, Harbir Singh, Amit Rohidas
Midfielders: Gurbaj Singh (captain), Manpreet Singh (vice-captain), Kothajit Singh Khadangbam, Gurmail Singh, M.B. Aiyappa, S.K. Uthappa, Dharamvir Singh, Nithin Thimmaiah
Forwards: Chinglinsana Singh, Akashdeep Singh, Pradhan Somanna, P.L. Thimmanna, M.G. Poonacha
Standbys: Rahul Shilpkar (defender), Stanley Victor Minz (midfielder), Rocky Lochab (midfielder), Mandeep Singh (forward)
Officials: Mohd. N. Riaz (coach), B.J. Kariappa (coach), Umesh T.N. (doctor), Harishankar (video analyst), Ripudaman Sharma (umpire), Anupam Gulati (administrative manager), Rajeev Mehta (manager).
- 32 hockey players named for central contracts - Jun 08, 2012
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- 90 Indian players sign up for Hockey India league - Sep 12, 2012
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Four from India's Europe tour to miss Olympic hockey - Jun 10, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- Rajpal retained among 32 hockey probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 23, 2012
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
- Akashdeep to lead India in Junior Asia Cup hockey - Apr 11, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in Olympics - Jun 11, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in Olympics (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Hockey India announces stipend for junior players - Jul 13, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- Ace forward Rajpal axed from hockey squad for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 30, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: administrative manager, government approval, govinda, harbir singh, international caps, mandeep singh, midfielder, midfielders, minz, nanak, nation series, nithin, riaz, sai centre, selection trials, sports authority, syed ali, tri nation, umesh, vice captain