HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National StadiumNovember 29th, 2011 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 29 (IANS) The Sports Authority of India (SAI) is considering a Hockey India (HI) request that leasing the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium for the un-sanctioned World Series Hockey (WSH) would disturb the national camp for the Olympic qualifiers that would be held simultaneously at the same venue from Dec 11.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra in a letter to SAI secretary Gopal Krishna Tuesday said allowing Nimbus to host an un-sanctioned event at the National Stadium could upset the International Hockey Federation (FIH), which has assured the sports ministry that India won’t be de-recognised.
“The sports ministry has assured the FIH that it will not support any FIH un-sanctioned event and by this (allowing Nimbus to host WSH at National Stadium) it will be evident that the sports ministry is supporting FIH un-sanctioned event at the cost of training and preparation of the national team for the Olympic qualifier,” Batra wrote in the letter.
Krishna told IANS that the request is being considered by SAI.
“Today we have received the letter and in a couple of day we will find a solution,” he said.
Batra also wrote that the men’s camp (starting Dec 11) and the women’s camp (from Dec 27) would coincide with the WSH, which will kick-off Dec 17 at the National Stadium. The WSH is promoted by both Nimbus and the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF)
“If the stadium is given to Nimbus to conduct their league at the National Stadium then it would disrupt the training schedule of India’s men’s and women’s team for the Olympic qualifier. There will be total chaos and confusion,” he said.
The Olympic qualifiers for both men and women will be held simultaneously from Feb 15 at the National Stadium.
- WSH gets National Stadium, Olympic camps shifted out - Dec 02, 2011
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- Six top Indian hockey players pull out of WSH - Nov 30, 2011
- WSH organisers want government to mediate with HI - Dec 10, 2011
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
- Players have to decide between India and WSH: Hockey India - Nov 16, 2011
- Court reserves order on plea against Hockey India 'threats' - Dec 07, 2011
- Sports ministry clears national camp after HI's flip-flop - Mar 05, 2012
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- World Series Hockey postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- World Series Hockey an unsanctioned event: FIH - Jul 22, 2011
- High Court paves way for players' participation in WSH - Feb 13, 2012
- WSH and IHF to give cash incentives for hockey team's Olympic success - Nov 21, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- WSH may decide Saturday to postpone the league - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: batra, confusion, dhyan chand, fih, gopal krishna, ihf, indian hockey federation, international hockey federation, men and women, narinder, New Delhi, olympic qualifier, olympic qualifiers, secretary general, sports authority, sports ministry, total chaos, venue, world series, wsh