HI official hits out at sports ministryJanuary 25th, 2010 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Hockey India Monday accused the union sports ministry of functioning as the sports ministry of Punjab for insisting that the state hockey unit be affiliated even if its documents are not complete.
HI secretary-general Narendra Batra told a crowded news conference here that the sports ministry went out of its way to promote the interests of Hockey Punjab.
“The sports ministry wanted HI to grant affiliation to Punjab even without the formalities being completed and put undue pressure on our officials not to insist on Punjab filing all the required documents,” said Batra.
Reacting to Union Sports Minister M.S. Gill’s statement Sunday that the HI election was not fair and transparent, a furious Batra asked that how could it be fair when the state unit wanted affiliation without proper documentation and it was getting the sports ministry’s backing.
Hockey Punjab’s affiliation was delayed because it did not include the women’s team of officials and a clarification was sought for the omission.
Batra said one of the reasons for former HI president Ashok Kumar Mattoo putting in his papers is the humiliation he had to undergo from the ministry officials.
- HI, sports ministry on collision course (Lead) - Jan 25, 2010
- Protests over nominations and omissions to HI electoral college - Jan 23, 2010
- Hockey India chief to meet FIH observer on poll issue - Jan 10, 2010
- Pakistan World Cup team arrives with huge security cover - Feb 22, 2010
- Ministry derecognised HI because Pargat lost: Batra - Aug 06, 2010
- Hockey India raises doubts over Hockey Punjab's election - Jan 05, 2010
- HI, IHF in talks on unification - Jun 19, 2011
- Hockey Punjab blames Kalmadi for affiliation mess - Jan 03, 2010
- WSH organisers want government to mediate with HI - Dec 10, 2011
- Hockey India election to be held before World Cup - Nov 13, 2009
- Stokes, Batra win election; government derecognises Hockey India (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2010
- HI, IHF make headway in resolving hockey crisis - Jul 14, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
- Hockey India's league in January with six teams - Jun 01, 2012
- High profile board of HI's league - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: affiliation, ashok kumar, batra, clarification, formalities, humiliation, India, ministry officials, narendra, New Delhi, news conference, omission, proper documentation, punjab, secretary general, sports ministry, state hockey, undue pressure, union sports