Hewitt fired up for Wimbledon after beating Nadal in warm up friendlyJune 19th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 19 (ANI): Former Australian world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is fired up for Wimbledon after beating world No.1 Rafael Nadal at an exhibition match in London.
Hewitt won 6-4 6-3 on Thursday, in what was meant to be an informal and relaxed match against the defending Wimbledon champion in west London.
Neither Hewitt nor Nadal would comment before or after the match, as they try to keep their preparations for Wimbledon as low key as possible ahead of the first round on Monday, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.
But Hewitt’s manager David Drysdale said the Australian would be pleased with the result. “He’s hitting the ball well,” Drysdale said after watching Hewitt from the stands alongside coach Tony Roche.
“But it’s hard to tell. It was Nadal’s first game on grass this year. Lleyton will be happy. He is going to be a dangerous floater for sure at Wimbledon.”
Hewitt, who was bundled out of the third round of the ATP event at The Queen’s Club by Andy Roddick a week ago, maintained his momentum in the second set as Nadal failed to convert some early break points.
Hewitt wrapped up the match, breaking Nadal in the final game when the Spaniard sent a backhand flying over the baseline.
The match was the first Nadal had played on grass this season after pulling out of the tournament at Queen’s last week so he could have treatment on his troublesome knees. (ANI)
- Federer gets top seeding at Wimbledon ahead of Nadal - Jun 16, 2010
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Federer claims fourth Indian Wells title - Mar 19, 2012
- Nalbandian spared more punishment for Queen's Club incident - Jun 25, 2012
- Hewitt waiting to launch fresh titles bid in 2010 - Dec 28, 2009
- Hewitt stuns Federer for Halle title - Jun 13, 2010
- Wimbledon king Federer flirts with first round disaster - Jun 21, 2010
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Roddick takes wildcard into new Atlanta event - Jul 16, 2010
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- US Open: Nadal ousts Murray, sets up final clash with Djokovic - Sep 11, 2011
- Hewitt still hoping to snare another major title - Jun 21, 2010
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- Back to the future for Roddick; Hewitt crashes out - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: andy roddick, atp, backhand, break points, coach tony roche, drysdale, final game, first game, floater, knees, lleyton hewitt, low key, morning herald, rafael nadal, spaniard, sydney morning herald, tony roche, west london, wimbledon, wimbledon champion