Hewitt backtracks on Tomic’s Davis Cup selectionJanuary 22nd, 2010 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 22(ANI): Australian tennis star Lleyton Hewitt has conceded that 17-year-old Bernard Tomic has moved significantly closer to Davis Cup selection.
Hewitt, Australia’s most successful singles player in Davis Cup history, said he was encouraged by the Australian Open performances of several players - including Tomic.
The comment came after 286th-ranked Tomic took world No. 14 Marin Cilic to five gruelling sets in the tournament.
“He’s obviously around the mark. I didn’t see any of the match. It’s hard to explain. Cilic is, yeah, a very good player. I think a little bit when he’s expected to win he doesn’t quite play as well,” The Telegraph quoted Hewitt, as saying.
Hewitt had earlier inflamed a simmering row with Tomic camp at the start of summer, when he said that no player ranked near 300 should think he deserved Australian selection.
The 29-year-old explained his position by saying that when he was a similar age and world ranked in the 20s, he had little hope of being picked behind Pat Rafter, Mark Philippoussis, Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde.
“The comment I always said was, ‘Yeah, anyone ranked 300 in the world can’t - doesn’t matter if it’s [Brydan] Klein or [Marinko] Matosevic or whoever it is - they can’t expect to be playing Davis Cup. It’s not going to be their call. It’s going to be [captain John Fitzgerald] Fitzy and [Todd] Woodbridge’s call and the selectors as to who they put in,” Hewitt said.
“You have no right to say that you’ll be playing Davis Cup in that situation. Personally, I feel it was a pretty good tournament for the Australians. In terms of Davis Cup, I’m a little happier with the players coming through,” he added. (ANI)
- Australia's legendary doubles pair 'Woodies' inducted into Tennis Hall of Fame - Jul 11, 2010
- Oz Davis Cup captain Rafter wants to end Hewitt-Tomic feud - Oct 28, 2010
- McEnroe advises Australian tennis champ Hewitt to consider retirement - Nov 11, 2010
- Tomic could face sanctions after complaining about match time - Jan 22, 2010
- Aussie tennis star Woodbridge 'smells a rat' in Federer ad stunt video - Aug 20, 2010
- Scud should stick to seniors: Woodbridge - Dec 07, 2009
- South African Anderson wins Delray ATP title - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- Rosewell asks Hewitt, Tomic to smoke peace pipe - Jan 13, 2010
- Fellow Oz player's father accuses Hewitt of being racially prejudiced - Jan 03, 2010
- McNamee urges Tennis Australia to intervene in 'racial' spat between Hewitt, Tomic - Jan 07, 2010
- Pat Rafter, Tony Roche set to inspire Oz Davis Cup team - Oct 20, 2010
- Hewitt won't extend hand of friendship in Tomic feud - Jan 05, 2010
- Philippoussis to return to tennis at Australian Open seniors - Dec 22, 2008
- Woodbridge named Australia's Davis Cup coach - Jul 13, 2009
Tags: australian open, australian selection, australian tennis, backtracks, bernard tomic, brydan klein, captain john, cup history, cup selection, davis cup, fitzy, john fitzgerald, lleyton hewitt, marin cilic, marinko, mark philippoussis, pat rafter, singles player, tennis star, todd woodbridge