Henrik Stenson Wins the Players Championship with easeMay 11th, 2009 - 11:52 pm ICT by GD
As usual, in every PG tournament, this year also all eyes were on Tiger Woods to lift the Players Championship Trophy. However, this time history was not favorable to Woods as the not so famous Swede, Henrik Stenson got the better of all his opponents with a flawless and remarkable final round with a 66 for a four shot victory.
At the start of the day Henrik Stenson was 5 shots behind the leader Alex Cejka and in a 6 way tie for a second place, which also included Tiger Woods. As the day got underway and the play progressed, Stenson, took advantage of the of the Alex Cejka collapse that came with a 42 on the front 9, and motored ahead towards his second PGA victory. This win for Stenson comes as his biggest win in his PGA career.
What was evident in the win of Stenson was the infusion of unique talent to the game. Relecting on Stenson’s win, his fellow competitor and tour player, Geoff Ogilvy, said, “He can win anything he wants.” To add to the praises, Crane said, “”He played flawlessly it was a tough test of golf and he went around like it wasn’t.”
At the end of the day, the 33 year old Henrik stenson won the Players Championship with a brilliant round of 66, featuring 12 pars and six birdies. To sum up his victory, the Swede finished with at 12- under 276 with four shots clear of Ian Poulter and of course richer with $1.71 million.
With this win Stenson now move to No.5 in the PGA circuit.
- Atwal tied 52nd, Molinari leads in WGC-HSBC - Nov 04, 2010
- US wins Omega Mission Hills World Cup golf - Nov 27, 2011
- Alex Cejka - will he, won't he? - May 10, 2009
- Stuart Appleby wins Australian Masters - Nov 14, 2010
- Woods and McIlroy to face-off in China - Aug 29, 2012
- Louis Oosthuizen on verge of British Open glory - Jul 18, 2010
- Atwal tied 55th at Players Golf - May 13, 2011
- Top golfers say just one season away from claiming Tiger's `lair' - May 20, 2010
- Woods says he can win Augusta, aiming for gold standard of Jack Nicklaus - Apr 06, 2011
- Westwood triumphs at Thailand golf, Jeev finishes tied seventh - Dec 18, 2011
- Englishmen Westwood and Poulter two shots clear at halfway - Apr 10, 2010
- Tiger Woods says re-grabbing World No.1 tag still firmly in his sights - Feb 10, 2011
- Jeev, Jyoti shoot best card of the week, lie ninth - Nov 28, 2009
- Jeev shoots 67, finishes seventh in Hong Kong - Nov 21, 2010
- Tiger Woods will get back on top, says Aussie expert Steve Bann - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: alex cejka, birdies, championship trophy, collapse, crane, fellow competitor, front 9, geoff ogilvy, henrik stenson, ian poulter, infusion, opponents, pars, players championship, praises, shot victory, swede, tiger, tiger woods, time history