Henman says it would be risky to write Federer offJuly 2nd, 2010 - 5:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 2 (ANI): Former Wimbledon men’s semi-finalist Tim Henman has said that writing off Swiss great Roger Federer after his loss in this year’s tournament, would be very foolish and risky.
“Write him off at your peril,” said Henman, the man who reached six Grand Slam semi-finals as Britain’s shining light before stepping into retirement.”Remember, I played some of the best tennis of my career when I was 29,” the Dialy Express quoted Henman, as saying. Federer is only 28, but his defeat here by Tomas Berdych on Wednesday means that he has left the last two Grand Slam events at the quarterfinal stage, after winning his record-breaking 16th Slam in Australia in January.
Now, it seems, there are family factors to consider. He has spoken honestly about how he will have to come to terms with being away from home as his twin girls grow up and approach school age. “It will be interesting to see how my wife Mirka and I deal with it,” he said.
“So far the longest I have been apart from them is three days. And they will be going to school soon and won’t be able to travel,” he added.Henman said: “That’s something that he has to consider as he grows older. It happened to me. I started to find it horrible missing my family, and it will be a factor. But he is too good a player to just go away. He will come back and it would be very foolish to think his best days are behind him.” (ANI)
- Henman backs Murray to win Wimbledon - May 20, 2010
- My game has matured: Berdych - Jan 03, 2011
- Federer keen to put Annacone through Toronto coaching paces - Aug 10, 2010
- Federer loses to Berdych, seventh Wimbledon title hopes evaporate (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Cilic, Berdych to play in Chennai Open - Sep 29, 2010
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- Murray says he would love to play for free at Wimbledon - Jul 02, 2010
- Berdych beats Djokovic, reaches Wimbledon final - Jul 02, 2010
- Berdych inspired to go one better than legendary countryman Lendl - Jul 04, 2010
- Oz Open: Federer is still blowing hot and cold - Jan 24, 2011
- Federer erases doubts with battling win over Berdych - Aug 14, 2010
- Federer, Djokovic rally to advance into last 8 at French Open - Jun 04, 2012
- Chennai Open singles wrap - Jan 06, 2011
- Nadal claims second Wimbledon title - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: australia, dialy, family factors, grand slam events, london, mirka, peril, quarterfinal stage, retirement, roger federer, semi finalist, semi finals, shining light, tennis, tim henman, tomas berdych, twin girls, wimbledon, wimbledon men