Henman believes Federer will eventually tower over SamprasJune 9th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 9 (ANI): Former World Number four tennis player Tim Henman believes Swiss Roger Federer is destined for further greatness and will become the first man to win 15 Grand Slams.
Henman predicts that Federer will surpass Pete Sampras’ in terms of tennis greatness.
“Roger is the best player of all time. Winning in Paris is his greatest achievement. He has equalled Sampras’ 14 but he has also won the French. And I can see Roger winning a few more Grand Slams. I can’t see the winner of Wimbledon coming from outside the top three but I’d make Roger favourite. It’s amazing how many people were saying he’s over the hill and wouldn’t win another Slam,” The Sun quoted Henman, as saying.
“Admittedly, he has not played as well as he has, but he is only 27. To come through this tournament in Paris, not to play his best but find a way to win, was incredible.
“He has made 15 of the last 16 finals. It is just off the charts.
“Last year, he got a lesson from Nadal at Wimbledon, the tournament he owned, but beat Andy at the US Open, lost to Nadal again in Australia, and has now come back and won the French.”
Federer’s wife Mirka is due to have their first child during Wimbledon and Henman says it could help the world No 2.
He said: “It will take away some of the pressure for Roger. A child puts things in perspective.” (ANI)
- Federer surpasses Sampras' feat - Jul 16, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Henman says it would be risky to write Federer off - Jul 02, 2010
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Murray needs to acquire in your face attitude to win Grand Slam: Henman - Dec 01, 2010
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic happy about playing Olympics on grass - Jul 26, 2012
- Henman backs Murray to win Wimbledon - May 20, 2010
- Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crown - May 26, 2012
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012