Hayden says he will not be pushed into retirementJanuary 9th, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 9 (ANI): Out of form Australian opener Matthew Hayden has vowed that he will not be pushed into retirement, despite selectors appearing to have made the decision for him.
On a dramatic day when Hayden was dropped from the one-day team, chief selector Andrew Hilditch backtracked on an earlier pledge to take the batting veteran to the Ashes, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Hayden said he will not be forced into retiring from his 103-Test career, but conceded that the next fortnight could be decision time if he wants to go out on his terms.
Ultimately it will be my call to look in the mirror and say, Mate it is time to go . . . or its time to saddle up, pull your socks up and get on with South Africa and the Ashes, Hayden said.
The Queenslander will play for his beloved Bulls in a Sheffield Shield game on January 30 in his only chance to stake a claim for next months Test series in South Africa.
It is very difficult to take a breath and get your mind around what my future does hold. I am going to take the time to do that. It is a time to take stock, he said.
I think Im supposed to have a miracle answer but I want to take my time and make a good decision moving forward. I want to enjoy what’’s gone and try to refocus as I”ve done several times through my career.
If I don”t feel like Im contributing to that (Australian cricket) culture . . . then I will be knocking on their (selectors) doors, Hayden added.
Hayden knew the writing was on the wall for his glorious 161-match ODI career, but was still shattered when Hilditch delivered the news in Sydney on Wednesday night.
In a significant pointer that Hayden has now also played his final Test, Hilditch backed away from statements earlier this summer that he wanted the veteran to play through to the Ashes.
NSW young gun David Warner will be Australias new Twenty20 opener in Sundays tie South Africa while Queensland all-rounder James Hopes is likely to take Haydens opening slot in the one-day team. (ANI)
- Hayden wants to quit on his own terms - Jan 09, 2009
- Ferguson predicts Hussey will hit top Ashes form - Nov 10, 2010
- Australian cricket on brink of West Indies-style collapse: Rixon - Feb 17, 2011
- Trevor Hohns also willing to replace Hilditch - Aug 20, 2011
- Fiery pacer Brett Lee retires from international cricket - Jul 13, 2012
- Lyon becomes international off-spinner from a groundsman - Jul 26, 2011
- Ex-Test stars slam Oz selectors repeated snub of Hodge - Jan 16, 2011
- Chairman of selectors backs Hayden for 2009 Ashes - Dec 23, 2008
- Hayden says nothing to fear about retirement - Jan 11, 2009
- Axe hangs over Nielsen as CA schedules Ashes autopsy - Jan 09, 2011
- Katich among seven players to lose Australian contract - Jun 08, 2011
- Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur - May 01, 2012
- I have the form to rattle South Africa: Johnson - Oct 06, 2011
- Clarke has till end of World Cup to regain form: Greg Chappell - Jan 25, 2011
- Selectors noncommittal over Hayden's Test berth - Jan 09, 2009
Tags: australian cricket, daily telegraph, david warner, decision time, final test, fortnight, hilditch, matthew hayden, miracle answer, odi career, pointer, queensland, queenslander, rounder, selectors, sheffield shield, team chief, test career, test series, young gun