Hauritz says pressure will be England’s Swann to deliver in AshesNovember 10th, 2010 - 1:48 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov.10 (ANI): Australian off-spinner Nathan Hauritz is sparing no effort to pile on the pressure on his opposite number Graeme Swann, saying the England spinner will carry the weight of a nation this summer’s Ashes series.
Swann has been one of England’s most consistent performers since the 2009 Ashes series, grabbing 65 wickets in 12 Tests against South Africa, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
His performances have seen him move to No.2 on the ICC’s world bowling rankings and they also earned him a nomination for the ICC Player of the Year Award.
On the other hand, Hauritz is coming off a horror series in India (six wickets at 65.00) and is under pressure to hold his spot in the Test XI with Steve Smith and Xavier Doherty waiting in the wings.
“Swanny, there’s a lot of expectation and pressure on him, I think. Everyone keeps coming out saying he’s the man who’s going to do it for England. But our boys played him really easily last year. He took eight wickets in that Oval Test but that wicket was a Bunsen burner (big turner), Fox Sports quoted Hauritz, as saying.
He added: “He’s got a fantastic record and he’s bowling really well, but his record hasn’t always been great against Australia. All the pressure is on him.”
Hauritz said: “(Swann’s) my opposite number and I really want to have a better series than him. But I’ll tell you what, I cannot wait for this summer.
“In my mind I’m still the No. 1 spinner but you’ve got to be bowling well, all the time, to get picked for Australia. It’s such a stupid game sometimes. Little things turn into big things pretty fast,” he added. (ANI)
- Australia will find Swann difficult to tackle: Emburey - Oct 26, 2010
- Swann's use of umpire referral system to sound death-knell for Oz in Ashes: Emburey - Oct 26, 2010
- Swann looking forward to summer meeting with India - May 01, 2011
- Australia's decision to omit Hauritz helped England in Ashes series: Swann - Jan 01, 2011
- Swann can turn Ashes series in England's favour: Lee - Oct 17, 2010
- Smith defends Hauritz's disappointing performance in India tour - Oct 23, 2010
- Swann questions Oz selectors decision to sack Nathan Hauritz - Jan 02, 2011
- Underwood backs Swann to overhaul record of most successful English spinner - Oct 03, 2010
- Hauritz says he is a better bowler than Doherty - Nov 16, 2010
- Hauritz, Australia's best hope of regaining Ashes: Jenner - Dec 07, 2010
- Swann's 'brilliant off-break' dubbed English "ball of 21st century" - Aug 10, 2010
- Oz conqueror Arthur backs Aussies to win Ashes - Oct 18, 2010
- Ashes: Swann questions Doherty's call up for Australia - Nov 22, 2010
- Hauritz is 'locked in' for India tour, Ashes: Ponting - Aug 16, 2010
- Blewett expects huge summer from Ponting as captain - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, bowling, bunsen burner, consistent performers, eight wickets, expectation, fox sports, horror series, nathan hauritz, nomination, opposite number, oval test, pakistan, south africa, steve smith, stupid game, sydney nov, waiting in the wings, wicket, xavier