Haryana’s ‘Chak de’ function Nov 1 to honour CWG winnersOctober 24th, 2010 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 24 (IANS) Haryana will organise the ‘Chak de Haryana - Chak de India’ function in Sonipat town Nov 1 to honour medal winners and participants from the state in the recently concluded 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said Sunday that the name of the state-level function was inspired by the successful Shah Rukh Khan starrer “Chak De! India”, as sportspersons from Haryana had made significant contribution of 32 medals in raising India’s medal tally to 101.
India ranked second behind Australia in the CWG medals tally.
The Haryana government has announced that players from the state winning gold, silver and bronze medals at the CWG would get cash rewards of Rs 1.5 million (Rs.15 lakh), Rs.1 mn (Rs.10 lakh) and Rs.700,000 respectively.
Haryana players will also get Maruti-Suzuki cars from Maruti Udyog Limited (MUL) which has its factory in Gurgaon.
Each gold medal winner will get an SX-4 car (priced at over Rs.800,000), silver medal winners would get Maruti Dzire (Rs.600,000) and bronze medal winners would get a Wagon-R car (Rs.350,000).
“The players are being honoured to encourage them to do even better in the Asian Games and the Olympics. We want them to win more medals and inspire others to take to sports seriously,” Hooda said here.
The Haryana government has also included players like CWG gold medal winners Gagan Narang (shooting), Saina Nehwal (badminton), Krishna Poonia (discus) and Sushil Kumar (wrestling) in the Nov 1 honours list despite these players hailing from other states. But all these players have a direct Haryana connection through their family roots.
The function to honour the players is being held on the occasion of Haryana Day (Nov 1), the day that the state was carved out from Punjab in 1966.
- Function for CWG medal winners: Haryana draws flak - Oct 30, 2010
- Haryana CWG medal winners to get cars too! - Oct 16, 2010
- Haryana to honour shooter Gagan Narang too - Oct 22, 2010
- Haryana gears up to honour CWG athletes Monday - Oct 31, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.2 crore for gold in London Olympics - Nov 01, 2010
- Cash, cars, mobile phones, ghee - Haryana CWG winners take it all! - Oct 30, 2010
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana chief minister wants Olympics in India - Oct 10, 2010
- Haryana grooms sporting talent for India's future - Nov 29, 2010
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- After medallists, Haryana to reward CWG participants as well - Oct 21, 2010
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Haryana's CWG medallists take home rewards, cars and more - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, asian games, bhupinder singh hooda, bronze medal winners, bronze medals, cash rewards, chak de india, chief minister, family roots, gold medal winner, gold medal winners, gold silver, haryana government, lakh, maruti suzuki cars, medal tally, rs 800, shah rukh khan, silver medal winners, sushil kumar