Haryana to award Rs.500,000 to hockey teamMarch 2nd, 2010 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 2 (IANS) In a bid to boost the morale of the Indian hockey team playing in the World Cup in New Delhi, the Haryana government Tuesday announced a cash prize of Rs.500,000 for the players for beating Pakistan in their first match of the tournament Sunday.
“We will give a sum of Rs.500,000 to the Indian hockey team for winning the match against Pakistan in Hockey World Cup. We will also give Rs.100,000 each to those players who scored goals against Pakistan in that match,” state sports minister Gopal Kanda said here.
He added: “We congratulate our hockey team on this magnificent victory against Pakistan. This victory has marked the beginning of a golden era in Indian hockey.”
India had beaten arch rival Pakistan 4-1 in the match that was played under flood-lights. Sandeep Singh scored two goals while Shivendera Singh and Prabhjot Singh scored one goal each in that match.
Kanda said the Haryana government was giving a number of cash incentives to promote sports on a large scale in the state. He added that outstanding sportspersons would be appointed in Haryana Police on high positions.
Just a few weeks before the start of the World Cup, in January, Indian hockey was shrouded by controversy related to the payments to players. They had boycotted the training camp at Pune for a few days due to non-payment of their match fees by Hockey India (HI).
The issue was resolved later.
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana pours cash on hockey hero Sandeep Singh - Feb 27, 2012
- Final decision on Shivendra Singh to be taken today - Mar 02, 2010
- Hockey India announces stipend for junior players - Jul 13, 2012
- Shivendra Singh suspended for three World Cup hockey matches - Mar 01, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs 30 lakh reward for hockey team - Sep 27, 2011
- Bringing Indian hockey back to 'consumer radar' - Nov 14, 2011
- India outclass Pakistan 4-1 in Hockey World Cup (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Pakistani hockey team leads China 3-0 in international series - Dec 25, 2011
- Hockey Federation reduces Shivendra Singh's three-match ban to two - Mar 02, 2010
- Haryana to set up state sports authority - Feb 14, 2010
- Dejected Rajpal blames HI for his omission from London list - Feb 27, 2012
- HI could afford only Rs.25,000 for each player: Batra - Sep 14, 2011
- India humbles Paksitan with 4-1 win in its opening World Cup Hockey match - Mar 01, 2010
- India-Pakistan World Cup clash will be a battle of nerves - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: arch rival, cash incentives, cash prize, controversy, flood lights, gopal, haryana government, hockey team, hockey world cup, indian hockey, kanda, large scale, magnificent victory, match, New Delhi, prabhjot singh, pune, rs 500, state sports, training camp