Haryana pours cash on hockey hero Sandeep SinghFebruary 27th, 2012 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 27 (IANS) The Haryana state government Monday showered cash awards on India’s ace drag-flicker Sandeep Singh for his stunning performance in helping the national hockey team to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
The government announced that Sandeep, who hails from Kurukshetra in Haryana, will be given Rs.5 lakh for each of the five goals he scored during India’s 8-1 win over France Sunday in the final of the qualifiers at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in Delhi. Sandeep will also get Rs.1 lakh for each of the 11 goals he scored during the qualifying matches.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said each player in the Indian team from Haryana would also get Rs.11 lakh for winning the tournament.
Besides, each player of the entire Indian team will get Rs.1 lakh for scoring every goal during the tournament, Hooda added.
The state government also announced a cash award of Rs.2.51 lakh to each player of the 18-member squad.
Hooda hoped that the Indian team will bring laurels in the London Games.
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian hockey team benefits from video referrals - Feb 27, 2012
- Sahara India announce cash award for hockey team - Feb 28, 2012
- Sahara India to award Rs.1.29 crore for hockey team (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Raghunath confident of getting back into India team - Jun 18, 2011
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Haryana announces cash awards for Olympic medallist - Jul 26, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Windfall for India's hockey players - Feb 27, 2012
- I have a plan to hoodwink the Europeans: Drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (Interview) - Jun 30, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- India's dragflickers grateful to Jugraj for improving penalty corner conversion rate - Feb 12, 2012
- We need to start our Olympic preparation now: Nobbs - Feb 27, 2012
- I don't have a fixed starting XI: Nobbs - Feb 16, 2012
- Haryana Olympics players to get over Rs.6.5 crore - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: 1 lakh, 2012 london olympics, ace, cash awards, chandigarh, chief minister, dhyan chand, flicker, haryana state, hockey hero, hooda, kurukshetra, laurels, london games, member squad, national hockey team, olympics, rs 2, state government, stunning performance