Haryana boxers reaching Olympic quarters to get Rs.2.5 mnAugust 16th, 2008 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 16 (IANS) The Haryana government Saturday announced that any boxer from the state who reaches the quarter-final stage at the Beijing Olympics would get a cash reward of Rs.2.5 million (Rs.25 lakh). Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said that all boxers from Haryana who win a medal in their respective categories in the Olympics would be offered the job of deputy superintendent of police (DSP).
The announcement came after Haryana boxers Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar reached the quarter-final stage in the Beijing Olympics and were just a round away from winning a medal in their respective categories.
Akhil Kumar, hailing from Bhiwani town, Friday upset Russian world champion Sergey Vodopyanov in Beijing to reach the quarter-finals in the 54-kg weight category.
Hooda congratulated both boxers and urged all participating players from Haryana to concentrate on their performance and to clinch medals for the country. At least nine participants in the 57-member Indian contingent are from Haryana alone.
The Haryana government has already announced a reward of Rs.20 million (Rs.2 crore) to those players of the state who win a gold medal at the Olympics. Silver and bronze medal winners would get a reward of Rs.10 million (Rs.1 crore) and Rs.5 million (Rs.50 lakh) each.
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana Olympics players to get over Rs.6.5 crore - Aug 16, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana grooms sporting talent for India's future - Nov 29, 2010
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic winners get rewards, cars - Aug 26, 2012
- Deepinder Hooda wants sports university in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Saina Nehwal - Aug 04, 2012
- Haryana Olympians rewarded with Govt. jobs - Aug 22, 2008
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Olympics: Geeta to wrestle in repechage; Devendro, Sahana out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, beijing olympics, boxers, bronze medal winners, cash reward, chief minister, contingent, deputy superintendent, dsp, gold medal, haryana government, hooda, jitender kumar, quarter finals, rs 1, rs 50, russian world, sergey, weight category, world champion