Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for SushilAugust 12th, 2012 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 12 (IANS) Despite the wrestler being from Delhi’s Najafgarh, the Haryana government Sunday announced a cash reward of Rs 1.5 crore along with land for Sushil Kumar for winning a silver medal in the London Olympics.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda congratulated Sushil for his feat and announced to give him a reward of Rs 1.5 crore in cash and a piece of land to set up a wrestling academy in Sonipat district.
Sushil Kumar has done the nation proud, he said.
Sushil Kumar Sunday became the first individual athlete from India to win back-to-back medals at the Olympics after settling for silver in the men’s 66kg freestyle event, ending the country’s campaign in London Games with the best ever haul of six medals.
Sushil Kumar ran out of steam against Japan’s Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu, losing 1-3 in what was his fourth fight of the day.
The silver here meant an improvement from his Beijing show four years ago when his bronze medal increased wrestling’s popularity in India by leaps and bounds and overnight made him a star.
Yogeshwar Dutt, a wrestler from Haryana’s Sonipat district, had won a bronze medal in wrestling Saturday. The Haryana government announced a reward of Rs one crore for him for his achievement.
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Would have loved to hear national anthem: Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Dikshit announces Rs.1 crore award for Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Celebrations at Yogeshwar's home over medal - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic winners get rewards, cars - Aug 26, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana Olympics players to get over Rs.6.5 crore - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil Kumar loses final, secures silver - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil in men's 66 kg freestyle final (Second Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing, bhupinder singh, bronze medal, cash reward, chandigarh, chief minister, freestyle event, haryana government, leaps and bounds, london games, london olympics, medals, olympics, rs one, silver medal, sonipat, sushil kumar, wrestling academy, yogeshwar