Harry Potter fan Roo encourages kids to read seriesApril 4th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.4 (ANI): England and Manchester United football star Wayne Rooney has revealed that he is a huge fan of Harry Potter and is more than willing to back a campaign to get children to read the series.
The footballer picked J K Rowling’s first novel, Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, as one of his favourite books, and said the series “really gets your imagination going”.
Rooney is one of 20 Premier League footballers to recommend their favourite books as part of an initiative by the National Literacy Trust to inspire a love of reading in schoolchildren.
The Telegraph quoted Rooney as saying: “Harry Potter is almost every child’s favourite book and the same goes for a lot of adults too! JK Rowling is a fantastic author and I would encourage any child to read the Harry Potter books; they are full of excitement and adventure and they really get your imagination going.”
A study commissioned by the trust has found that sports stars are among the most inspirational figures for young people.
The study, which questioned 2,176 primary and secondary school pupils aged seven to 15, looked at how role models can influence children’s reading habits.
It found that after family members, sports people were the public figures most likely to inspire reading. (ANI)
- Agassi, Harry Potter on cricketer's reading list: Survey - Feb 08, 2011
- J.K. Rowling announces e-books, Pottermore - Jun 23, 2011
- 'British kids don't find reading interesting' - Sep 08, 2012
- Harry Potter and the Indian fan - one last magical time (Feature) - Jul 09, 2011
- Wayne Rooney is mad about Harry Potter! - Feb 03, 2009
- US judge dismisses Harry Potter plagiarism suit - Jan 07, 2011
- Harry Potter becomes experiential in digital space - Jun 24, 2011
- Magic and vampires stir India's young adult literature (Feature) - Jul 13, 2011
- 'Harry Potter' fan to auction Rowling's boots - Sep 20, 2011
- Prince Charles laments end of 'Harry Potter' - Jul 11, 2011
- Movie to be made on J.K. Rowling's life - Feb 17, 2011
- Warner Bros gifts diamond bracelet to Rowling - Jul 21, 2011
- Will J. K. Rowling Pen Down More Harry Potter Books? - Nov 15, 2010
- Radcliffe wants to play superhero - May 26, 2012
- Bedtime stories improve child literacy - Apr 04, 2010
Tags: favourite book, favourite books, football star, footballer, harry potter, harry potter books, harry potter fan, inspirational figures, j k rowling, jk rowling, manchester united football, national literacy trust, philosopher, premier league, reading habits, role models, schoolchildren, secondary school pupils, sports stars, wayne rooney