Hapless India go down 0-5 to ZambiaNovember 29th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Margao, Nov 29 (IANS) India were thrashed 5-0 by a higher ranked Zambia in an international football friendly at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Fatorda here Tuesday.
Musaknya Bruce Bwalya struck a hat-trick while Mulilo Jimmy Chisenga and Sitali Joseph Mushumba scored goals apiece for the World No.79 against the hapless looking Indian side, who are ranked 162nd in FIFA rankings.
For India it was not the right way to gain confidence ahead of the eight-national SAFF Cup that starts here Friday.
Bwalya was the star of the match with a hat-trick within 21 minutes which sealed the victory for his side.
India coach Savio Medeira handed Steven Dias the captain’s armband and decided to field Baljit Sahni and Sushil Singh upfront in the absence of Sunil Chettri and Jeje Lalpeklua, who are away on trials with Scottish giants Rangers.
Zambia went into lead in the 14th minute after Chisenga went past Syed Rahi Nabi and Gouramangi Moirangthem before slotting past goalkeeper Karanjit Singh from inside the box.
Three minutes later, India missed a chance to equalise as Sushil’s goal-bound header off a Dias corner kick was cleared just in front of the line by Sitali Mushumba.
Zambia attacked down the flanks and held most of the ball possession as they forced an array of flag kicks that always looked dangerous.
India struggled to keep the ball at their feet and hardly created a threat throughout the first half.
The visitors doubled the lead in the 55th minute after Kangwa Evans intercepted a pass to find Sitali Joseph who latched on to the ball to find the back of the net. They made it 3-0 after Bwalya headed home from Katongo Felix’s flag-kick.
Bwalya struck again, just three minutes later, as he got past defender Gouramangi Moirangthem and slotted past Karanjit. He completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute when he nodded in Sitali’s cross from the right.
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- India unimpressive, lucky to get a point (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- Pailan Arrows beat Chirag Kerala for first win in I-League - Apr 25, 2012
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- Chettri doubtful, Bhaichung ruled out for Iraq tie - Nov 10, 2010
- Unprecedented scenes as India lift Nehru Cup - Sep 03, 2012
- East Bengal in Fed Cup semifinals - Sep 21, 2011
- Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but World Cup dreams over (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Odafe hat-trick hands Mohun Bagan crucial win - Jan 15, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
- SAFF Cup: Sri Lanka thrash Bhutan 3-0 - Dec 03, 2011
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- Real Madrid steer seven points clear of Barcelona - Jan 29, 2012
- SAF Cup: Afghanistan thrash Bhutan 8-1 - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: back of the net, baljit, corner kick, fifa rankings, flanks, front of the line, goalkeeper, hat trick, international football, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, jeje, margao, medeira, nabi, sahni, savio, sitali, sushil, three minutes