Hanif backs Pak to storm into ICC T20 final by defeating South AfricaJune 18th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, June 18 (ANI): As Pakistan prepares to take on South Africa in the first semi- final of the ICC Twenty20 World Championship at Tent Bridge later today, legendary batsman Hanif Mohammad has backed Pakistan to storm into the final of the tournament by defeating the Proteas.
Commending new opener, Shahzaib Hasan, for his hard hitting at the top of the order, Mohammad said Pakistan has the potential to beat South Africa and qualify for the final of World T20 Championship.
“They have been playing well and I think they can beat South Africa. They are in good form so expectations are high. Pakistan now also has a good opener Shahzaib Hasan,” Mohammad said.
He said any score near 170-180 would be a challenging total, and added that Pakistan has the bowling line-up which could easily defend that score.
“Bowlers and fielders must perform up to the mark. A total of 170 or 180 is a wining total. That could be easily defended,” The Nation quoted Mohammad, as saying.
Referring to the pessible ball tampering remarks made by New Zealand captain, Daniel Vettori, after Umar Gul’s brilliant display of swing bowling which helped Pakistan win the crucial match against the Kiwis and send them packing out of the tournament, Mohammad said Australians and New Zealanders always cast aspersions on bowlers who perform well against them.
“Gul has been bowling well and New Zealand team was unable to pick his bowling. So they allege him of ball tempering. Saeed Ajmal was also accused for suspect bowling action by Australians in the same manner. It is their tactic to bring a bowler into pressure,” he said. (ANI)
- Pakistan beat Bangladesh to win Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- New Zealand roar back with crushing defeat of Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2011
- New Zealand crush Pakistan, roar back into World Cup (Intro Roundup, correcting first para) - Mar 09, 2011
- Australia bowled out for lowest World Cup total since 1992 (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012
- Opener Shahzaib Hussain likely to replace injured Arafat in Pak T20 squad - Apr 15, 2010
- Taylor, Oram plunder Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- India march into World Cup final with emphatic win over Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Australia's 34-match unbeaten World Cup streak ends (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- U-19 World Cup: Pakistan on track for worst finish - Aug 22, 2012
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India lose to West Indies by 4 wickets - Aug 12, 2012
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Afridi in, Malik out of PCB's squad for T20 World Cup - Mar 13, 2010
- Afridi stars as Pakistan thrash South Africa to enter final (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
Tags: ajmal, aspersions, australians, bowlers, bowling action, captain daniel, daniel vettori, fielders, hanif mohammad, hasan, icc twenty20 world championship, karachi, kiwis, proteas, south africa, swing bowling, tactic, twenty20 world championship, umar gul, zealand captain