Hamilton wants Moscow F1 night raceJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton wants a Singapore-style night race on the streets of Moscow, the 2008 world champion said in the Russian capital Sunday.
Russia is due to host its first Grand Prix in 2014 in the southern coastal resort of Sochi, but clamour has been growing to build a street circuit around the Kremlin.
“I think Moscow has an opportunity, I hope, in the future to put on a street race,” Hamilton said.
“I’ve seen some images of Moscow at night and it looks absolutely spectacular, so I think having a night race here one day as we do in Singapore would be one of the highlights of our season. I hope that you guys welcome us.”
Valencia, Abu Dhabi and Singapore have all seen street circuits added to the calendar in recent years, with Singapore hosting F1’s only night race.
Racing through a city gives drivers a rush not found elsewhere, Hamilton said.
“They’re the most entertaining, I think, for the fans and for us drivers.”
“A street circuit around a city is the most exciting thing. You see the lights, you see the architecture, you get to see so many incredible things when you’re racing.”
Monaco, widely referred to as the jewel in the sport’s crown, has held a race every year since 1955, while Melbourne and Montreal also host street races.
- F1 circuit mooted in Moscow - Jul 14, 2012
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Moscow Raceway is suitable for Formula 1' - Jul 04, 2012
- Dull Moscow track is a shame: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Lewis Hamilton hints at marriage plans - Jul 15, 2012
- Moscow raceway targets MotoGP standard - Aug 23, 2012
- Official fired for racing tractors on Russian street - Feb 08, 2012
- Russians learn English for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 18, 2012
- McLaren must bounce back in Germany: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Moscow Raceway lacks zing: Petrov - Jul 15, 2012
- Upgrades give Alonso a title shot: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Hamilton surprised by Monza pole - Sep 09, 2012
- Hamilton to McLaren: I'm not Young, and I want to win - Jul 17, 2012
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Anzhi's opponents better prepared: Hiddink - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, clamour, coastal resort, f1, formula one, grand prix, incredible things, jewel, kremlin, lewis hamilton, melbourne, moscow, ria novosti, russian capital, singapore style, sochi, street circuits, street races, vm, world champion