Hamilton says he has ‘fighting chance’ to end his early season misery in MonacoMay 23rd, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 23 (ANI): Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton reckons that he has a ‘fighting chance’ of bringing an end to his early season misery in Monaco.
Hamilton is confident his McLaren Mercedes will not be off the pace around the narrow streets of Monte Carlo where he triumphed last year.
He had the day off on Friday and heads into qualifying this afternoon having posted the second-fastest time in practice on Thursday.
Hamilton knows he will struggle on the faster sections of the track tomorrow, but reckons his MP4-24 will handle the slower corners better than his main rivals, The Sun reports.
The Herts-born racer, who has scored just nine points in five races, said: “I am doing everything I can to catch up a little bit but we just don’t have it in the car.”
“But in other areas we are able to do a bit better than the others. Fingers crossed that gives us a fighting chance. Driving Monaco is just a spectacular thing. You can never compare it to any other circuit you go to, or any other experience. It really is such a huge buzz, it feels amazing,” he said.
Hamilton’s first target is getting into top-10 grid shootout after qualifying only 14th at the last race in Spain.
“I definitely feel Q3 should be possible this weekend rather than how it was in Barcelona. When we get there we have to see how we do. In Monaco, the most important thing is to be as close to the front as possible, if not on the front row. But to beat the Brawns again will be tough,” he added. (ANI)
- Hamilton backs Hill's move to slap Schumacher with a race wrecking penalty - May 29, 2010
- Monaco GP: Webber on pole, Hulkenberg miss top-10 - May 26, 2012
- Hamilton to McLaren: I'm not Young, and I want to win - Jul 17, 2012
- McLaren 'love-in' between Hamilton and Button will turn sour: Webber - Jul 08, 2010
- Lewis Hamilton to zoom in Bangalore Sept 27 - Sep 18, 2011
- Massa, Hamilton again collide - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamilton's title write-off just before start of F1 season - Mar 10, 2011
- I can see myself finishing my career at McLaren, says Button - Sep 26, 2010
- Vettel takes pole in Japan, Force India to start from sixth row - Oct 08, 2011
- Button 'surprised' at his good relation with Hamilton - Oct 10, 2010
- McLaren must bounce back in Germany: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Hamilton eyeing Singapore Grand Prix glory to boost F1 title hopes - Sep 23, 2010
- Nicole back in McLaren paddock - Mar 17, 2012
- Button warns team mate Lewis about fight till very last race - Jun 01, 2010
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: brawns, buzz, champion, fastest time, fighting chance, fingers, formula one, front row, herts, lewis hamilton, little bit, mclaren mercedes, misery, monaco, monte carlo, mp4, narrow streets, q3, rivals, target