Hamilton feeling ‘phenomenal’ after Montreal winJune 12th, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Montreal, June 12 (IANS/CMC) McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton said he felt “phenomenal” after snatching his first win of the 2012 Formula One season and third Canadian Grand Prix here to leap to the top of the drivers’ standings.
Relegated from first to third after his final pit stop on the 50th lap, the 25-year-old fought his way back in the late stages to overhaul Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso and reigning champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull, to take victory.
He had earlier started second on the grid behind pole-sitter Vettel but grabbed the lead during the middle stages.
For the Brit, it was his first F1 win since November last year in Abu Dhabi and it broke a disappointing sequence of finishes this season.
“It is a phenomenal feeling to be back here again, to go out and have a performance like that and when coming back seeing the team in our special tops, that was awesome,” said Hamilton.
“It was the place of my first win and to win here today brought back a lot of fantastic memories,” Hamilton said.
“I knew that it would be a very tough race. I knew that the Ferraris would be very strong … but I knew that I am in a fighting position and it worked.”
Hamilton also won in Montreal in his debut season in 2007 and also chalked up victory again here two years ago.
He became the seventh different winner in seven races this season and now leads the championship with 88 points, two ahead of Alonso with Vettel a further point back in third.
The season moves to Valencia in two weeks time for the European Grand Prix.
- Hamilton blames 'cruel luck' for Hockenheim fiasco - Jul 23, 2012
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- Ferrari's Alonso wins Italian GP - Sep 13, 2010
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Domineering Hamilton wins Hungarian GP - Jul 29, 2012
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- Alonso wins British Grand Prix, Force India draw blank - Jul 10, 2011
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Force India's di Resta 8th fastest in Canadian GP qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- Hamilton wins Chinese Grand Prix to end Vettel's winning streak - Apr 17, 2011
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, brit, bs, canadian grand prix, champion, cmc, debut season, fernando alonso, ferrari, ferraris, formula one, hellip, lewis hamilton, mclaren, montreal, pit stop, pole sitter, red bull, s lewis, sebastian vettel